Is this a hen or rooster?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by danawhatley90, Dec 8, 2014.

1. danawhatley90

danawhatley90 Out Of The Brooder

Jul 23, 2014
    Alabama
    [​IMG]
    We got this chicken when we knew NOTHING about chickens. It was about 17 weeks then. It was sold to us as a RIR hen. I have done some research and can tell it is obviously not a RIR! But is it a hen?

It is now almost 30 weeks. It hasn't started to lay yet, but it does not crow either. We have two rosters that do crow. Our large game roo is all over my other hens but I have never seen him try to mate with this bird. It does have some strangely long feathers on its back compared to my bantam laying hens, but I don't have any like her to compare. Is this just a large hen or is it a roo in hiding? Her comb has grown even larger than this pic and her spur spots are noticeable. She-it is also very dominant!! What do you think?

Last edited: Dec 8, 2014
  2. keesmom

keesmom Overrun With Chickens

Jul 28, 2008
    MA
    It is a cockerel. He is likely intimidated by your mature males. He keeps quiet to stay off their radar.

3. familyfarm1

familyfarm1 Overrun With Chickens

Jun 9, 2013
    Northern Virginia
    x2

4. danawhatley90

Jul 23, 2014
    Alabama
    Dang really... I was really hoping for just a slow developing hen. :(

My husband was adamant it was a hen, but I was beginning to wonder with the visible saddle feathers on its back. It also puffed up at my baby chicks yesterday when they met for the first time and I saw hackle feathers that seemed roo... :(

What screams roo to you? Don't want to eat a hen by mistake...

5. Wyandottes7

Wyandottes7 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    Sorry, but that is a cockerel.

6. Sunshine0235

Sunshine0235 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 2, 2011
    Lebanon Ohio
    The saddle feathers are pointy, which is a roo trait, and the dark red patches on the wing are also roo traits.

7. K Spot

K Spot Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 14, 2013
    SE Qld, Australia
    x2

8. danawhatley90

Jul 23, 2014
    Alabama
    Thank y'all for all of your help! I guess now we just need to decide if we eat him or the game Roo. Our other male is a precious bantam and he is a keeper! The game roo has spurred me twice and so he may be the one to go... The red is very friendly even though he isn't a RIR we might make him a keeper too. That way I won't have to burst my hubby's bubble and he will see for himself when he crows for the first time!

[​IMG]

9. BantamLover21

BantamLover21 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    Cockerel.

10. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    Agree he's a cockerel, but I'd think he's a bit younger than 30 weeks. Do you have any pics of when you got him?

As far as breed, good ol barnyard mix is as good as any. He could be a second generation red sex link, with the white in his tail, so therefore might throw higher production pullets if you're interested in breeding.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by