Is this a hen?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by cheprbyddozn, May 29, 2008.

1. cheprbyddozn

cheprbyddozn New Egg

May 29, 2008
    We bought chicks from a feed store. I have had two roosters crow. They are 14-15 weeks old. I have had one or two lay. but I have two that are big. They aren't crowing they are acting very hennish.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: May 29, 2008
  2. SpottedCrow

SpottedCrow Flock Goddess

The brown one in the back in the top picture seems to me like it'd be a good candidate for rooness...
    Another way to check is to look at their necks and the feathers just before their tails...

Hens' feathers will be round and roosters' will be pointed.

3. cheprbyddozn

cheprbyddozn New Egg

May 29, 2008
    **trapsing out to the coop now**
    Thank you I will check that out and report...

REPORT: The red on does have feathers that come to a point...the black and white has rounded feathers. All my hens that I know are hens have rounded feathers...soooooooo that being said, I think I have two red roosters! [​IMG] They will have to go, I think I will still wait till they are crowing...so I know for sure...anyone with rhode island red hens with combs have pics?

Last edited: May 29, 2008
  4. blessedchickenmama7

blessedchickenmama7 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 12, 2008
    Western NC
    Quote:Is that true every breed? I'm heading to the brooder, too. I don't have reds, and mine are still young. But I gotta see what I can see...

Sonia

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by