Is this a ISA Brown Hen? Is this a Rhode Island Red Rooster?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by ChicknNub, Feb 2, 2009.

1. ChicknNub

ChicknNub Out Of The Brooder

Feb 2, 2009
    Naples, FL
    Hi All,

I recently purchased a rooster and a hen but, the owner didn't know the breeds. Could you please help me figure out the breeds? I'm guessing that the hen is an ISA Brown and that the rooster is a Rhode Island Red but, I would love to find out for sure. Your input would be greatly appreciated. [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. blackrooster

blackrooster Out Of The Brooder

Feb 1, 2009
    ky
    the hen she is a new hampshire red and i think the rooster is a rhode island red or the same as the hen but i cant see the rooster real good

3. dave27889

dave27889 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 27, 2007
    Washington, NC
    I have two of the same hens and the guy called them alabama browns. A well known lady here thought they were brown-sex links or maybe New Hampshire reds. Mine are molting now but are really friendly. I have no male for them yet and I have no eggs yet as they are molting. I am following this link so I get an idea of what mine are.Later, Dave27889

4. pipermark

pipermark Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 26, 2007
    Arkansas
    ISA and sex links have lighter colors in brown in their feathering, I am guessing , production red or production NH.

5. ChicknNub

Feb 2, 2009
    Naples, FL
    Wow...thank you all for the great information. This forum is awesome becuase of you! [​IMG]

6. chicken_angler

chicken_angler Coop Constructist

Jun 23, 2008
    a house
    The first one is definitely a New Hampshire Hen!
    I have 5 of them!

Cody!!

7. ams3651

ams3651 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 23, 2008
    NE PA
    the roo looks like my RIR but I cant see clear, are his tail feathers shiny black / green.

8. ChicknNub

Feb 2, 2009
    Naples, FL
    Thanks again for all of the great information. I'm really enjoying this forum.

Have any of you crossed a Rhode Island Red with a New Hampshire Red? Do you think this would be a good mix?

9. nzpouter

nzpouter Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 19, 2009
    new zealand
    new hampshire is basically a more refined RIR... so can't see why not..

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by