1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Is this a Lakenvelder chick?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by CrystalFox, May 3, 2016.

1. CrystalFox

CrystalFox New Egg

May 3, 2016
    Colorado
    I bought this chick and believe it is not the breed I was told it is. I bought it as a Fayoumi Egyptian, but am now thinking it is a Lakenvelder. It's about 3 weeks old. Her fluff was mostly gray with some peach in her face, and her legs are gray. Thanks :D

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. ChickenLover200

ChickenLover200 Overrun With Chickens

May 10, 2013
    I'll be in the barn!
    Looks like she may be a Lakenvelder. I have one of my own. They're beautiful birds.

3. CrystalFox

CrystalFox New Egg

May 3, 2016
    Colorado
    Thanks! I'm just concerned because I have heard they can be flighty, and she is going in a backyard coop.

4. ChickenLover200

May 10, 2013
    I'll be in the barn!
    Mine is flighty, but that was papartially my mistake for not handling her much as a chick...

5. CrystalFox

CrystalFox New Egg

May 3, 2016
    Colorado
    Do you think if I handled her a lot she would do good in a suburban backyard? Or should I try and find her a new home with more space? I just wants what's best for her. :/

6. ChickenLover200

May 10, 2013
    I'll be in the barn!
    I think she'd do fine. I don't have much experience living in the suburbs though ;)

7. Gray Farms

Gray Farms Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 11, 2016
    NW Missouri
    Lakenvelders are a very flighty breed. If they get cornered or startled they're gonna fly. I'd say clip wings for sure if your gonna keep her.

8. CrystalFox

CrystalFox New Egg

May 3, 2016
    Colorado
    Thank you for the advise. That defiantly sounds like a good idea.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by