Is this a lavender ameraucana? What breed is this?

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by Jeniferl29, Aug 21, 2013.

1. Jeniferl29

Jeniferl29 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 18, 2013
    Adairsville, GA
    I bought some assorted purebred eggs online and have had them under a broody hen for 20 days anxiously waiting on them to hatch. The first one hatched a couple of hours ago. It was supposed to be a black ameraucana chick but I was shocked when it hatched out looking lavender. I wrote the lady I bought the eggs from and she said that she had her black ameraucana hens in with her white ameraucana roo a few weeks ago but that they had been with her white roo ever since. She said that was probably why the chick hatched out that color. I am fairly new to raising chickens but I thought if you breed a black chicken to a white chicken you will get chicks that are either black or white. Can anyone help me? I have 4 more eggs that should be hatching that are from the same lady, 2 more blacks and two whites. What do y'all think?

2. ramirezframing

ramirezframing Overrun With Chickens

Mar 2, 2011
    Knee Deep
    You wont get lavender from a black to white mating.

3. Jeniferl29

Feb 18, 2013
    Adairsville, GA
    Thank you for reinforcing my thoughts. I knew I wasn't crazy. What did this lady sell me? The chicks are cute but they look nothing like they are supposed to. :rolleyes: I am starting to think I have some huge sign stuck to me somewhere that says "hey she is a newbie lets rip her off". :p lol

4. ramirezframing

ramirezframing Overrun With Chickens

Mar 2, 2011
    Knee Deep
    Well if it came from a blue egg, more than likely easter eggers. Once you mix colors on pure breed ameraucanas, they become ee's since they wont breed true to one of the 8 colors that true ameraucanas come in.

5. Jeniferl29

Feb 18, 2013
    Adairsville, GA
    That's what I think too. Well then, I have 3 new blue easter egger chicks. :D

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by