Is this a Lavender Silkie???

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by horseshoecreekranch, Jul 24, 2010.

1. horseshoecreekranch

horseshoecreekranch Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 26, 2009
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Thanks for any help [​IMG]

2. Three Cedars Silkies

Three Cedars Silkies Overrun With Chickens

Apr 17, 2008
    Gainesville, Fl.
    It can only be a lavender if each parent was either lavender or a split lavender. Do you know what color they were? So, depending on the parents, it could be a lavender.

It looks a lot like a silver gene. I am going to quote from The Genetics of Chicken Colour by Sigrid Van Dort and David Hancox:

"Silver is a sex linked dominant (dominant in one dose) gene and was discoered and described in 1912 by Sturtevant. It changes its gold counterpart (s+) into Silver, but has no effect on the Autosomal Red coloring of the shoulders and wingbow, back of the male; S is sex linked because hens have only one dose of it and roosters two. Silver is often used to improve the "white" in some breeds. Silver gives a super white, even cleaner than Dominant white.....Silver is also effective on chick down; it gives the down a greyish shade compared to the yellow of its golden counterpart. Take for example the white silkie. White silkies are mostly Gold (s+)and you can see this in the roosters who tend to have yellowish hackle and saddle feathers, especially as they grow older. By bringing Silver into the white silkies, a super white, whiter than the ordinary white silkies can be obtained. The difference in chick down between golden and silver birds can be used to sex chicks. If a golden rooster is paired to a silver hen, their offspring will be segregated into cream/buff femailes, and greyish blue males. The other way around....a silver rooster and a golden hen doesn't work because all the offspring will be greyish blue, having at least one S gene, so you can't determine the sex by the chick down colour. "

So to make a long story short, the greyish color of the chick down indicates the Silver gene base (S) instead of a gold (s+) base.

3. blackclownfish16

blackclownfish16 Chillin' With My Peeps

To me it looks like straight up blue. That could be my screen though.

4. horseshoecreekranch

Jun 26, 2009
    It came from Bobbi Porto eggs. The egg did say LAV on it. I ordered BBS, Lav/Split and buff.

5. robin416

robin416 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 6, 2007
    Then chances are slim that its a lavender. Lav split means it carries one copy of the lavender gene. Are you certain that is the chick that came out of the egg marked lav? Because it could be any one of the others that hatched, you just can't see it without two copies.

6. Three Cedars Silkies

Apr 17, 2008
    Gainesville, Fl.
    It's also possible for it to be a splash. Sometimes they start out bluish like that and will begin to get the splash markings over time.

7. horseshoecreekranch

Jun 26, 2009
    Yes Im 100% certain this came out of the egg marked LAV. It was separated from all the other silkie eggs in a different hatcher with just Americaunas just in case it was a Lavender. I was thinking it was looked like a splash? I guess I will send Bobbi an e-mail with pics. Thanks for all the help everybody!! Sure do appreciate it!!!

8. Freckle Face Farm

Freckle Face Farm Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 1, 2009
    Florida
    Quote:Looks to be lav or splash time will tell..Could be a Lav Bobbi does have lavenders and if it's marked Lav then chances are pretty good you hav a lav....

9. onthespot

onthespot Deluxe Dozens

Mar 29, 2008
    Riverside/Norco, CA
    Look at the shaft of the feather on its flights. Lavenders have two toned feather shafts. The outside is light and the inside of the shaft is dark. That won't tell you if it also carries blue or splash however.

10. Three Cedars Silkies

Apr 17, 2008
    Gainesville, Fl.
    What did this chick turn out to be?? [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by