Is this a leghorn?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by kalimist99, Apr 12, 2009.

1. kalimist99

kalimist99 Out Of The Brooder

Apr 10, 2009
    I cought her by my house a few days ago, Is this a leghorn? how old do you think she is? can i expect eggs soon? I have a coop made for 4-5 layer hens shes really happy in, it has a nest box,roost, she uses everything but the nest boxes.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 12, 2009
  2. kalimist99

Apr 10, 2009
    oh and I clipped her wings incase ur wondering. and ive been feeding her scratch and some kinda layer feed from dels

3. Smartie_Pants

Smartie_Pants Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 5, 2008
    Madisonville, KY
    Scratch has no nutritional value, so don't feed her tons of it. Feed her mostly the layer. A good ration would be to mix it two scoops of layer to one of scratch. You can buy the big bags and mix it like this in a big metal trashcan. Its great for storage.

4. nzpouter

nzpouter Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 19, 2009
    new zealand
    not a leghorn... more gamey look to it..

5. silkiechicken

silkiechicken Staff PhD Premium Member

Keep her on layer and they don't need the scratch. It isn't a leghorn due to the white legs, but looks more like a game... are you sure it is female? Hard to tell from the pic but appears dubbed.

6. kalimist99

Apr 10, 2009
    ive actually just been giving her the scratch in the evening to get her back in the coop as a treat, the rest is layer and losta bugs.

im like 75% sure shes a hen, I was hoping she was a leghorn but hmmm... whats dubbed?

Last edited: Apr 12, 2009
  7. Skitz

Skitz Skitz15k

Nov 11, 2008
    Texas
    Quote:[​IMG] welcome to BYC [​IMG] dubbed means when they cut their combs and wattles sometimes earlobes

8. ArizonaDesertChicks

ArizonaDesertChicks Eggstactic for Pretty Eggs

Dec 8, 2008
    Glendale, AZ
    I agree - she's not a leghorn.

9. kalimist99

Apr 10, 2009
    thanks, anyone know what she could be? or what her purpose is? could she be a decent egg layer?

10. StrawberryHouseMouse

StrawberryHouseMouse Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 23, 2009
    Cleveland, Tennessee
    Looks like a young rooster to me. The body is too well defined. Hens usually have more rounder bodies.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by