Is this a Leghorn?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by IngridMarais, Mar 12, 2012.

1. IngridMarais

IngridMarais New Egg

Feb 3, 2011
    [​IMG]
    These hens were sold to me as Leghorns (day-old). They are now almost 30 weeks old, still not a single egg. So now I'm having doubts - can someone tell me if they actually are leghorns?

2. MissCluckCluck

MissCluckCluck Out Of The Brooder

Feb 19, 2012
    SW Ontario, Canada
    My avatar picture is of my Leghorn chicks when they were younger. Yours look a lot different than mine. I got mine from a hatchery. Yours almost look like meat birds to me [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Edit: HOWEVER, I believe mine are some sort of egg layer hatchery special breed..

Last edited: Mar 12, 2012
  3. StarLover21

StarLover21 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 11, 2011
    Nope-not leghorns, nor meat birds. Those are white rocks. It looks like they should start soon. I do have a leghorn- and she started at 33 weeks!

4. MissCluckCluck

MissCluckCluck Out Of The Brooder

Feb 19, 2012
    SW Ontario, Canada
    Are White Rocks not meat birds? [​IMG]

5. AmyLM

AmyLM Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 28, 2011
    Buckley washington
    they are dual purpose but they lay well too. Brown eggs actually.

6. v.cyr

v.cyr Chillin' With My Peeps

May 4, 2010
    Greene, NY
    my GF's aunt bought 6 "white leghorn pullets" at a local feed store a few years ago(agway, I think)... half turned out to be roosters, and they all turned out to be rocks... really funny cause she won't eat brown eggs...

7. redvespa90

redvespa90 Out Of The Brooder

Mar 12, 2012
    Chattanooga, TN
    I'm new to this whole chick to chicken thing. But I believe that some chickens develop at slower rates. A good way to tell if they are mature, is if their comb and waddle is full and vibrant. The one closest to the camera has the most apparent comb and waddle, but the ones in the back do not appear to be as mature. It may be a little while longer for your eggs. Good luck!

8. IngridMarais

IngridMarais New Egg

Feb 3, 2011
    So do white Leghorns lay white eggs? If yes, then maybe I will know the moment we have the first egg. I really thought laying should start at about 20 weeks.

9. IngridMarais

IngridMarais New Egg

Feb 3, 2011
    Can anyone tell us the difference between a Leghorn and a White rock? Forgive me if I sound sceptical, but I need to be quite sure I have Leghorns. They were bought so I can have sex-linked chicks. I read that Leghorns are prolific layers. Then surely they should start sooner than 30 weeks? All the other breeds I have started earlier.

10. featherz

featherz Veggie Chick

Mar 22, 2010
    Saratoga County, NY
    Leghorns are lighter bodied and have white earlobes. OP's pic has red earlobes, so white rocks. Most people mean 'cornish cross' chickens when they say 'meat birds', but of course a white rock is dual purpose so they could also be used as meat birds. Very few people would refer to a leghorn as a meat bird due to their size. :)

If OP had cornish X they would be huge (and possibly dead) by 30 weeks.

Leghorn (note the earlobe color):

[​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 13, 2012

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by