Votes: 0 0.0%
  • rooster

Votes: 1 100.0%

• Total voters

pinkashes04

Hatching
Apr 22, 2016
Maine

The one in question is on the right in this picture. These Silver Laced Wyandottes are 4 weeks old. I have three of them and two of them look exactly like the one on the left, while the one on the right has a single comb that is dark pink and wattles coming in rather fast. The other chicks have wattles as well, just not as big.

Here's a close up of his/her facial features.

Full body shot. He/she is tuckered out! Played hard tonight out of their pen. Tame little buggers! ;)

This is my first time raising chicks on my own and was told there was a 90% chance they were hens. I'm thinking I got the 10%! lol It's no big deal if she is a he. Just curious!

Last edited:
Pretty sure you have a Lyle!
big_smile.png
He sure is cute!

~Alex

Thanks for the reply! I've been pondering it for a few weeks now. This one was slower in getting feathers like I've read roosters do. But at the same time it's smaller than the other two. However, it has a much louder chirp. Guess we will see! I will definitely keep posting pics, as they grow so fast!

I've had SLWs, two batches of chicks, and the males always get much deeper contrasting feathers than the pullets, meaning they're more black and white to the girls' overall grayish appearance by age six weeks.

And the clincher is Lyle's reddish pink comb. Warning, SLW roos can be on the pugilistic side, if you plan on keeping him.

You're welcome!
smile.png
It can be SO hard to tell with Dottes. I've got a 6-week-old Silver Penciled Wyandotte bantam who is a definite pullet, but yet with hangy, pink wattles and a nice red comb. Confusing, eh?
tongue.png
I'm beginning to wonder if some Wyandotte girls develop early.

~Alex

I do plan on keeping him. He's actually leaning towards my favorite. He's very docile now, as he's been handled a lot. Out of all the chicks he is the one who will come right to me a roost on me when they're out and about. Very friendly and sweet so far. Hoping he will stay that way! Fingers crossed =)

It is really hard to tell! I've researched others questioning the sex of their dotte and have found them just as confused! Or they were positive they had a roo, gave them away..only to be disappointed. I think this breed's females do mature fast from what I've seen so far. Ive also read thay its not uncommon for some dottes to wind up with single combs and still be female?

Back
Top Bottom