Is This A Lilac??? (Added New Pics!)

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by Laurajean, Jul 1, 2011.

1. Laurajean

Laurajean Slightly Touched

Apr 2, 2010
    New Hampshire
    This is only my second summer in this house. There are various perennials on my property and in the garden bed around my house that were here when I bought it. Lilacs in this area have already bloomed and passed. This hasn't bloomed or I wouldn't be asking, LOL. But it looks like a lilac bush. It's right outside my house and I don't recall seeing it last year at all. It looks pretty young, still small and not in great form. Is it a lilac?? If so, is it common that I wouldn't see it last year, but it somehow popped up this year?? And if it wasn't there last year, how did it get here? Could lilacs be carried like other plants through bird droppings? I've never heard of that, but I don't know where this suddenly came from. I tried to take pics of the base and a closeup of the leaves, so I hope you guys can help me confirm if it's a lilac or not. Thanks!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 2, 2011
  2. krcote

krcote Chillin' With My Peeps

May 21, 2008
    Concord, NH
    I believe you have an impostor! Lilacs have leaves that come out from all sides of the stem instead of matched pairs like your plant.

3. jerseygirl1

jerseygirl1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 20, 2009
    Orange County, NY
    I checked with my goats, and they said the leaves, though not the same layout as yours, look identical to the ones they eat off of our lilac bush.

4. Laurajean

Apr 2, 2010
    New Hampshire
    Quote:[​IMG] Well, goats know best....

5. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    It's not a lilac, but I'm not sure what it is? Could it be forsythia?????

6. maple

maple Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 28, 2010
    Not positive but it reminded me of this:

night shade (poisonous)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Deadly_nightshade

It spreads like crazy around here because birds do eat it and poop the seeds. You keep pulling it up over and over but as long as a tiny bit of root stock remains...it just keeps coming up...

7. Rollerman

Rollerman Chillin' With My Peeps

May 18, 2011
    From the look of the stems I would say more than likely it a forsythia.Liaic stems are either darker green or brown.

8. Laurajean

Apr 2, 2010
    New Hampshire
    Quote:I checked your link and also did some searches, and I don't think it's that. Nightshade has purple berry/flower things that mine doesn't have, and also closer pics of the leaves and stems doesn't really match.

9. Laurajean

Apr 2, 2010
    New Hampshire
    Quote:Definitely not that. I have a forsythia bush just a few yards away and it definitely doesn't match. And my forsythia bush is smaller and already bloomed. But I can see they clearly aren't the same.

10. debilorrah

debilorrah The Great Guru of Yap Premium Member

I got nothin but a black thumb. I know what a tomato is.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by