Is this a little Araukana Roo, the brown not the black?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by chicken-nipples, Feb 25, 2017.

1. chicken-nipples

chicken-nipples Out Of The Brooder

Feb 21, 2017
    Dunedin New Zealand
    [​IMG]Pullet?
    [​IMG]
    What colour would you call it? its kind of mottled, I think its a roo, but I have not had these before, I think the black is a female,,,,, please please be a female.
    The little mottly one has a bigger top knot and a bigger comb, but the black has a small dark comb, Does comb size make a difference at 6 weeks for sexing?

2. HeavensHens88

HeavensHens88 Overrun With Chickens

May 17, 2015
    Totality lost it.
    Hello C.N! Welcome to the wonderful world of pondering the gender, and therefore reckoning their future in some cases, of your darling chicks! At six weeks and especially in crested breeds, it's really hard to tell. Is the "mottled" (I can't tell the correct variety from your picture!) showing any signs of obvious assertion or dominance? Which one is friendlier? Who eats first? Fingers crossed for you they're both hens!!!!

3. chicken-nipples

Feb 21, 2017
    Dunedin New Zealand
    A frontal pic of mottly crew, male or female?

[​IMG]

I put the mob into the old shed for a couple of days, they really cleaned it up, excellent.

4. HeavensHens88

May 17, 2015
    Totality lost it.
    At six weeks old, its comb is admittably large... it would be safe to say at this point that there's an 80% or so chance it'll turn out to be a roo. They grow so quickly... his lil' red nub will be totally transformed to large comb (if he's a roo) in two or three weeks!
    Best to get as many opinions as you can from the BYC community before making any firm decisions just yet....
    Good luck and have fun with your chicks!!!!
    They're only chicks for so long...

Last edited: Feb 25, 2017
  5. chicken-nipples

Feb 21, 2017
    Dunedin New Zealand
    OK so his comb will look different to a pullet? because it looks like a much wider comb then the black one, and a different colour. sorry if I sound duh on this subject, I'm used to light Sussex and red shavers, the red shaver is the mum, she is really a good mum, ferocious, I cant get near them.

6. HeavensHens88

May 17, 2015
    Totality lost it.
    Yes, he may very well turn out to be a roo. Especially if you haven't been able to thoroughly examine the chicks and their temperaments due to an aggressive broody hen...

7. chicken-nipples

Feb 21, 2017
    Dunedin New Zealand
    What colour would you call it? and thanks for your replys

8. HeavensHens88

May 17, 2015
    Totality lost it.
    Well, if they are truely purebred Araucanas, the only variety he/she could possibly be with all that gold-brown lacing is the Golden Duckwing- though his/her coloring will probably even out as he ages.
    Correct if I'm wrong, Araucana fanatics!!!! :p

9. chicken-nipples

Feb 21, 2017
    Dunedin New Zealand
    Yes they are pure bred, I bought them off a breeder of Araukanas, She was hoping for a black roo from the hatching, it was not a good hatch, Ive just got 2 out of 10 eggs. Thanks for the colour info. I can not keep roo's here. I have an anti animal neighbour, I mean all animals

10. HeavensHens88

May 17, 2015
    Totality lost it.
    Oh no!
    Well, there is no way to be definite just yet- maybe post more pictures in a week or so?
    Hopefully the breeder would be more than happy to take him back if HE turned out to be the case in the end???
    Wishing that he is a she!
    ~Sarah

1 person likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by