Is this a lost cause?

kfromero

In the Brooder
Mar 16, 2016
Hi, our silkie hen is very broody over one egg that we have a candled and we see it slowly changing and even some movement in there (is that possible?) The only problem is that this egg is 36 days old. She's new at laying and at first she had no interest in sitting on her eggs but she seems magnetized to this one particular egg. We destroyed the rest of the clutch because they were over a month old and we couldn't see anything inside of them but we held onto this egg because there was an obvious bloodline when we candled it. Now we check it every couple of days and there's definitely something inside, just wondering if it's a lost cause because the incubation period is typically 21 days. We've only had our chickens for about three months so we're new at this and need some advice Thank you in advance!

Hi, our silkie hen is very broody over one egg that we have a candled and we see it slowly changing and even some movement in there (is that possible?) The only problem is that this egg is 36 days old. She's new at laying and at first she had no interest in sitting on her eggs but she seems magnetized to this one particular egg. We destroyed the rest of the clutch because they were over a month old and we couldn't see anything inside of them but we held onto this egg because there was an obvious bloodline when we candled it. Now we check it every couple of days and there's definitely something inside, just wondering if it's a lost cause because the incubation period is typically 21 days. We've only had our chickens for about three months so we're new at this and need some advice Thank you in advance!

Is it possible this is NOT a chicken egg? Do you have muscovy ducks?

No all we have is silkie chickens and we do have a rooster as well and he's with hen all the time. While I haven't witnessed it everyone else in the family has seen them mating so I'm pretty sure the egg is fertilized and growing , I'm just concerned that they incubation period has been way too long.

I had a silkie rooster knock up my girls (leghorns and americanas) and my white leghorn got real broody. I had to throw out a lot after a month because she couldn't sit on 20+ eggs and also candling showed many stopped developing. Reduced it to 4 eggs and after another 2 weeks was preparing to throw them out when one egg hatched out a gorgeous leghorn/silkie. Feathers of a silkie and extra toe, but head and skin of a leghorn. I have no idea how old the egg actually was, but give yours a little more time. Maybe you'll get something great.

Back
Top Bottom