1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Is this a lump on my hen?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Vugaris, Oct 28, 2009.

1. Vugaris

Vugaris Out Of The Brooder

Oct 28, 2009
    Hello all. This is a hen that wandered into my yard a few days ago. She seems in alright condition other than this odd looking lump type thing on her back. I am not really sure what to think

I have captured her and plan to keep her; she is a nice tempered bird and is very used to people.

Is it alright to post a photo in this section?

Thanks

Last edited: Oct 28, 2009
  2. baldie

baldie Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 25, 2008
    Douglas, MA
    Hi and Welcome to BYC. You can post a pic in any section. It will be needed if you want an answer. [​IMG]

3. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

You may post a picture, but you need to upload it to BYC (Uploads is in the top blue banner on this page) or upload it to an online photo hosting site, like photobucket, first.

4. M To The Maxx

M To The Maxx Baseball+Girls=Life

Jul 24, 2009
    Lutz,FL
    [​IMG] You can post a pic in any section.

5. Vugaris

Oct 28, 2009
    Ok thank you guys. I just wanted to make sure. Some forums are really strict about which sections get photos

Here is the hen. You can see the lump on her back. She does not appear to be missing feathers there, but it is really hard to tell what is going on.

She also does not want to go inside a coop [​IMG] She was used to roosting in a pine tree, and will only roost up high

[​IMG]

6. silkiechick05

silkiechick05 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 27, 2009
    North Texas
    hmmm

that is odd.

what does it feel like?

7. Vugaris

Oct 28, 2009
    Not sure what it feels like. I myself, having not owned chickens before, did not know how to pick her up properly so I had my friend who works on a farm pick her up and give her a check over

I will see if I can hold her tomorrow and examine it closer

here are two more views

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 28, 2009
  8. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

If that feels "fleshy", it could be an inflamed oil gland, which is located in that region, but it just looks in the pic like she has some missing feathers right in front of the "cushion" area in front of the tail, which make it seem as though she has a lump, sort of an optical illusion.

9. M To The Maxx

M To The Maxx Baseball+Girls=Life

Jul 24, 2009
    Lutz,FL
    Is it just me? It looks like she is just molting.

10. Vugaris

Oct 28, 2009
    Alright, thanks for the quick replies. I am hoping she is in fact just missing some feathers. She is a really nice hen that someone lost. Her eyes seem clear and she seems fit

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by