1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Is this a male Barred Rock?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by tagine, Aug 8, 2013.

1. tagine

tagine New Egg

Aug 8, 2013
    Salt Lake City, Utah
    Another newbie gender question...

We think we might have a rooster! Our Barred Rock "hen" recently starting crowing in the morning and evening, and it's beginning to sound an awful lot like a cockadoodle doo. Our chickens are all about 4 months old, and our Barred Rock has always been the dominant and aggressive one. S/he also grew some facial decorations pretty early, and they are quite red and large, particularly compared with the other chickens (though they are all different breeds). For some reason, though, I never suspected that she might be a he until all of the noise started!

Help! Can you help us confirm that this one is a male? Much appreciated!

[​IMG] [​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 8, 2013
  2. TiaRC

TiaRC Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 16, 2013
    Carteret county, NC
    Male lol

3. fiddlebanshee

fiddlebanshee Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 11, 2010
    Frederick, MD
    x2. Not only because the red wattles and large comb @ 4 mo, but also because of the light coloring. Male barred birds have wider white bars than black so their overall appearance is a lighter color. If you would have a female barred rock beside him you would certainly see the difference.

1 person likes this.
  4. tagine

tagine New Egg

Aug 8, 2013
    Salt Lake City, Utah
    I guess he really does look like a rooster, doesn't he? How did I not notice earlier?!

5. fiddlebanshee

fiddlebanshee Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 11, 2010
    Frederick, MD
    Because you saw what you wanted to see, rather than what was there? We all do it. I've been in denial about my own roosters before until they started to crow and I couldn't deny it any longer.

1 person likes this.
  6. ClucksAndPeeps

ClucksAndPeeps Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 8, 2013
    Male

7. chickita12

chickita12 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 8, 2013
    Male-sorry

8. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    You're not the first, or the last, to do this. I had an Easter egger rooster who had the classic Kellogg Rooster coloring, the comb, was huger than any of the ladies, he basically just screamed roo. I just never really "looked" at him and was totally shocked when Betty crowed! And yes, he was called Betty for the rest of his life......poor guy.

The good news is everyone else in the pictures is a hen!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by