Is this a Male of Female Polish Chicken

Jo-Miki

Chirping
7 Years
Jun 12, 2012
Hello Everyone,
We got the baby chick and was wondering if it is a Male of Female. We are starting to hear some strange noises almost like a male chicken.
Thank You in advance. The other hens have pulled her/his head feathers out so they are just growing back now but still a big bald spot in the center of the back of the head. She/he gets bullied more than any other chicken we have owned. We made a special chicken coop just so we could isolate her and put in one or two chickens at a time with her/him and it seems to work when we do that but whenever she is with the whole flock she gets her head feathers pulled out.
IMG_5629.JPG
IMG_5628.JPG
IMG_5626.JPG

Thank you in advance.

That looks like a cockerel/rooster to me (pointy saddle and hackle feathers, curved tail, big red wattles). Polish tend to get bullied more in a mixed-breed flock because of that poofy crest, which stands out to the other chickens, and makes the polish chicken not be able to see as well as everyone else.

That looks like a cockerel/rooster to me (pointy saddle and hackle feathers, curved tail, big red wattles). Polish tend to get bullied more in a mixed-breed flock because of that poofy crest, which stands out to the other chickens, and makes the polish chicken not be able to see as well as everyone else.
X2 and the crest makes them especially vulnerable to predation.

Augh. It is my kids favorite chicken. We will need to find a place for him. What do you usually do with a male chicken.
Thank You in advance

Augh. It is my kids favorite chicken. We will need to find a place for him. What do you usually do with a male chicken.
Thank You in advance
I have sold some on craigslist or as a member of a trio.
I normally eat 90% of the cockerels I'm not keeping for breeding.
They taste just like chicken.

Back
Top Bottom