IS THIS A MALLARD? All comments are welcome.

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by QuackerJackFarms, Jun 27, 2011.

1. QuackerJackFarms

QuackerJackFarms Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 26, 2011
    Missouri
    In my prior post I put up a pic of the duckies when they were babies. Here is what they look like as of now. I have had a couple people tell me they are mallards.. So If the consensus remains the same now that I'm posting "right now" pics... I'll take it from there.

If they are indeed Mallards- Could you please let me know if they will fly away? Or if there will be a problem considering I have 1 drake and 2 females? I noticed this morning that the drake seems to have "chosen" the female he likes the best and there was some "frisky type behavior" happening. The other female seems to feel neglected. She follows them around all mopey like she's the outcast or something. [​IMG] poor little ducky.

I will try to post more pics of them.. Computer is very slow uploading today..

The drake is in the middle.. kinda hard to tell in this pic.

Thanks!!

[​IMG]

2. QuackerJackFarms

Jun 26, 2011
    Missouri
    [​IMG]

Here's another pic of the drake.

3. kswaterfowl

kswaterfowl Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 11, 2009
    Greencastle, IN
    sexes appear correct, and as long as they know where the food is, they should hang around. You can always clip their wings if you want to be positive, or keep them in a covered pen. I personally clip/remove the flight feathers when they grow back in after each molt, and have had birds fly off, but the birds that have been around for a long time, just wander around when they get out, never had any of those fly off.

4. The Burg Peeps

The Burg Peeps Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 9, 2011
    Ontario
    To be on the safe side I would clip the flight feathers, at least for their first 2 years. Nice lookin' ducks! [​IMG]

5. QuackerJackFarms

Jun 26, 2011
    Missouri
    So Mallards it is! Have either of you heard of a Mallard/Rouen cross Hybrid? (or something like that)

I can't believe Tractor Supply put the wrong label on their ducks! Now I'll know to check better next time. (Just learned about the "eye stripes" thing.)

We love them, I hope they stick around. But if not... Then whatevs! [​IMG]

Also, does anyone know when they start laying eggs or breeding? Like I mentioned... All the sudden today the male is ... Courting.... so to speak... [​IMG]

6. THunter

THunter Chillin' With My Peeps

Mallards for sure. That will be one happy drake come next spring. I used to keep a drake and two hens and both hens would have successful nests. Want to talk about moping around, that was my drake when both hens went to setting. He'd irritate the crap out of me wanting to be let out and have some attention paid to him. [​IMG]

7. The Burg Peeps

The Burg Peeps Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 9, 2011
    Ontario
    I am not a duck expert by any means but as I understand it they are seasonal layers. If they have not started to lay this spring/summer they probably won't but they should lay next spring for sure. I think Mallards will lay one clutch per season. You may have to do some research to find out if that is correct unless someone on here can't help you. Try calling your Tractor Supply store for info.
    Good Luck

8. THunter

THunter Chillin' With My Peeps

I've had mallards double clutch when I'd take the first and put in an incubator.

9. QuackerJackFarms

Jun 26, 2011
    Missouri
    Quote:Ok, I just have to say this... Not to crack on the Tractor Supply but when you said, "try calling the TS for more info". .. I was thinking, The tractor supply told me they were Rouens! I can't believe they put the wrong ducks in the box. (I'm still not over it.)

I wanted Rouens!! But these little Mallards have totally grown on us. [​IMG]

10. Debberduck

Debberduck New Egg

Jun 28, 2011
    I have a duckling that is black and yellow...no spots. He has a black bill and black feet. I was told it's NOT a mallard. Anyone know what kind of duck this might be? Not sure how to upload a pic yet. I'm new.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by