Is this a Mallard or a Rouen???

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by mahsmaj, May 6, 2009.

1. mahsmaj

mahsmaj Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 25, 2008
    Hannibal, Missouri
    I have newer and better pictures now to show just how much smaller this duckling is compared to the other duckling of the same age. Also do you think the whitish duckling in the picture is a Pekin or something else???

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I hope these pictures will help!

2. headred

headred Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 28, 2009
    Lawrence
    I think you have a pekin and a rouen. See my website cause I got the same thing. Scroll thru ducks until you see "Sonny and Cher".

3. cowman910

cowman910 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 1, 2009
    Suffolk County,NY
    i think you have a mallard because a rouen would be the same weight as a peking.

4. karanleaf

karanleaf Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 29, 2008
    Glenwood, Missouri
    I agree with Cowman that a Rouen would be as large or almost as the pekin Rouen's are the larger domestic cousin of the mallard. They are both beautiful ducks that you have, [​IMG] [​IMG] The Mallards and Rouens both male or female look alike for a while when young, Now if this one is very vocial and seems to quack loud it's a female, If it seems to be a bit raspy sounding or like it whisphers its a drake. Usually the Drakes will also have a greenish yellow bill. The hens will have more of a yellowish orange bill. also the drakes will start to have green color come to their head feathers and a defined white collar on their throat.

Good luck with your youg ducks they are adorable [​IMG]

[​IMG] Karan [​IMG]

Last edited: May 6, 2009
  5. shelleyd2008

shelleyd2008 the bird is the word

Sep 14, 2008
    Adair Co., KY
    I still think it is a rouen, and I also doubt highly that it is the same age as the pekin. If they were the same age they should both be totally feathered, instead of just the pekin. I say that the rouen is about a week younger than the pekin is. And the white one has to be a pekin, there aren't any other all white feathered ducks that I know of! Is it possible that the pekin is a jumbo? That would account for the size difference. But I still don't think they are the same age. Especially if you got them from the same person, they were most likely housed the same, and should feather at the same rate as each other. You probably have a 4 week old pekin and a 3 week old rouen. That baby is just too big to be a mallard and still have it's down!

Do you know how big a full-grown call duck is? That's about the same size a full grown mallard is. I imagine your pekin baby is about as big as a full grown mallard, possibly bigger. I know my 3 week olds are as big as a full grown mallard, if not bigger. If that one was a mallard, it wouldn't even be half as big as the pekin.

6. LoveMyBirds

LoveMyBirds Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 10, 2008
    Quote:Here's my Rouen last year... I see more white on mine than this one. My Pic is of a Drake.. It has the red markings and the hens do not.

[​IMG]

7. shelleyd2008

Sep 14, 2008
    Adair Co., KY
    Quote:Here's my Rouen last year... I see more white on mine than this one. My Pic is of a Drake.. It has the red markings and the hens do not.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/uploads/14303_rouendrake.jpg

I don't believe the amount of white on it reflects anything about breed. It's just the inividual bird. Pet quality rouens can have a lot of white, or if they are mixed with something else. I have one baby that has a lot of white. It looks just like a rouen, but it had a pekin mama.

And what red markings are you referring to? I haven't ever noticed red markings on mine?

Last edited: May 7, 2009
  8. Duck Keeper

Duck Keeper Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 18, 2009
    Out in the Boonies
    It HAS to be a Rouen, since it has TWO EYE STRIPES! Apparently, he must be younger than the Pekin, or he'd be much bigger.

May mallard duckling looks nothing like that... [​IMG]

9. DiVon80

DiVon80 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 23, 2009
    Pearl River,Louisiana
    Quote:I agree! Rouens are similar in size to the pekin. From the feathers I see, Its a girl!

10. shelleyd2008

Sep 14, 2008
    Adair Co., KY
    Quote:I agree! Rouens are similar in size to the pekin. From the feathers I see, Its a girl!

All Rouen and mallard babies look like that until they are adults. By 2 months you can sometimes see the males getting their green heads. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by