Is this a mix?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by AccidentalFarm, Sep 30, 2007.

1. AccidentalFarm

AccidentalFarm Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 29, 2007
    I really like this guy- I think he's such a pretty bird, but don't know what he is. Probably a mix, but of what? His coloring looks like Red Star hen, but not correct for a roo. Anyone?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. BantyChickMom

BantyChickMom Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 25, 2007
    Henderson, NC
    I really don't know![​IMG]

I know RIR can have white in the feathers until molt,
    But I'm not sure if they have that much white.

It is a beautiful color though!!

3. silkiechicken

silkiechicken Staff PhD Premium Member

NO idea! I thought production red's were the only one with white in feathers till molt at that age. I believe true RIR's have black in their feathers and are mahogany in color.

4. Farmer Kitty

Farmer Kitty Flock Mistress

Sep 18, 2007
    Wisconsin
    Could he have Brown in him? I have Brown hens and he reminds me somewhat of them--not sure what a Brown roo looks like though.

5. silkiechicken

silkiechicken Staff PhD Premium Member

Brown hens? Enlighten me? Are you talking about isa browns? or some sort of sexlink?

6. AccidentalFarm

AccidentalFarm Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 29, 2007
    Probably talking about ISA Browns..the hens somewhat resemble my roo, but I don't think it's what he is.

I've yet to come across a photo of an identifiable roo with his coloring.

7. Farmer Kitty

Sep 18, 2007
    Wisconsin
    They were called Browns. My DH works at a feed store and someone ordered chicks-Browns, Blacks, and turkeys. They didn't pick the chicks up so home they came. While we had been talking about getting some nothing was set up for them. That changed in a hurry. I'll see if I can post a picture tomorrow-busy tonight and have never posted a picture.

8. Farmer Kitty

Sep 18, 2007
    Wisconsin
    Having trouble figuring out how to post a photo. Time short today as it is daughter's b-day. Will try to figure it out more tomorrow.

9. soccerguy17

soccerguy17 Out Of The Brooder

Apr 7, 2007
    washington
    i know its off topic but im amazed at the size of the white leghorn roosters comb and wattles in the backround of the 2nd picture I im mean look at those things:D[​IMG]

10. Queen of the Lilliputians

Queen of the Lilliputians Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 5, 2007
    Maine
    This may be way off base, but just wanted to share it with you. It came from the chicken genetics website: http://marsa_sellers.tripod.com/geneticspages/page3.html

Red spash white rs Recessive. Two copies of this gene give a white bird with spashes of red and black. Chicks are white with a red head spot. This gene may be extinct now. It was first isolated in a line of Rhode Island Reds, but it was not maintained nor has it be re-identified.

Just thought I'd throw that out there. Discuss amongst yourselves. [​IMG]

Meghan​

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by