1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Is this a nigerian dwarf

Discussion in 'Other Pets & Livestock' started by thfrank, Feb 20, 2014.

1. thfrank

thfrank Out Of The Brooder

Dec 25, 2013
    My uncle got this goat from a man and I told him that I don't think that's a nigerian dwarf bc it's way taller than my 2 year old pregnant doe. So some please let me know what they think or have they seen a nigerian doe this tall

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. thfrank

Dec 25, 2013
    In the second pic you can see my two year old doe that's pregnant , look at the size difference between the two .

3. H Diamond

H Diamond Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 26, 2014
    Judging by size and eye color I would say a Nigie cross. I would guess Nigie x Saanen, but it really could be any of the swiss breeds. I doubt she is crossed with a LaMancha, Nubian, or any of the meat goat types.

4. thfrank

Dec 25, 2013
    I was thinkin saanen as well , but she is about 5 or 6 inches taller than purebred doe . Do you think I if if bred her to a purebred male nigerian that the kids will stay small or atleast be the size of my purebred doe .

5. Stacykins

Stacykins Overrun With Chickens

Jan 19, 2011
    Escanaba, MI
    Even if bred to a Nigerian Dwarf buck, the kids will likely be taller than your purebred Nigerian Dwarf doe.

I also agree that she might be a Nigerian Dwarf mix with a different breed of goat. She is much to large to be a simple "over height" Nigerian Dwarf. Usually OH goats are closer to the breed standard, just a little bit over. Unless your other doe is exceptionally small for an ND, which could be the case, in that case, she might actually be fine.

How much does your other doe actually weigh? What is her height at the withers?

6. countrydream7

countrydream7 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 5, 2013
    I would say cross I have a ng looks like cross

7. thfrank

Dec 25, 2013
    My purebred nigerian is very short for her size , I will also get her height from the the wither today .

8. H Diamond

Jan 26, 2014
    You might get the height of the new doe also if you'll have a tape measure out there so we can compare :)

9. thfrank

Dec 25, 2013
    The new doe measures 21 and my smaller doe is at 17

10. H Diamond

Jan 26, 2014
    Well then technically she falls under the height requirements for breed standard through ADGA.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by