Is this a normal amount of feather loss?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by eggspletive!, Jul 7, 2010.

1. eggspletive!

eggspletive! Out Of The Brooder

Jun 9, 2009
    I've got five 3-month old hens and am noticing a lot of feathers on the ground and in the henhouse. Maybe a couple dozen, maybe a little more. I spend a lot of time observing them every day and I never see them pecking at each other. I can tell from the feathers that they're from all the birds, not just one, although one of them is shedding more than the others. Is this normal? If not, what might be causing it?

2. 3chimama

3chimama Chillin' With My Peeps

May 8, 2010
    Pacific Northwest
    I can't answer your question but I have noticed that my almost 4month old BRs are losing a lot of feathers too although they seem to be very healthy....

3. Yay Chicks!

Yay Chicks! Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 15, 2010
    Forest Grove, OR
    Mine too. I'm guessing it's normal because I'm not seeing any bare spots on them at all.

4. Finn's Mom

Finn's Mom Chillin' With My Peeps

And mine too. I keep looking for bald spots and there are none. It was about a 10-day to 2-week interval and then it slowed down.

5. nuchickontheblock

nuchickontheblock Chillin' With My Peeps

May 16, 2010
    south portland, maine
    I just posted a similar question about normal vs molting feather loss on the behavior-egg post, as I assumed they weren't laying because they were molting. Now I wonder?? I'm new to chickens, so . . .??

6. Yay Chicks!

Yay Chicks! Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 15, 2010
    Forest Grove, OR
    As I understand it, they molt toward fall when the days get shorter...and the feather loss looks more like you are growing a new bird [​IMG] I am new to this as well, but despite the feathers on the ground, my birds look great.

7. Boo-Boo's Mama

Boo-Boo's Mama Chillin' With My Peeps

Hoping someone with lots of experience will post. I have 22 girls and they surely are losing lots of feathers...they are not naked so I'm assuming it is a molt of some sort; they are 15/13/12 weeks old.

We had a pecking issue but I took the ones who were pecked out of the hutch so they were no longer in with those who must have been pecking since they had no loss of feathers or bare spots. Today they all went into the run/coop that is 21'x10'. Still have some who are separated in chicken tractor and a couple of hutches until they all get use to each other...we have several "Jello Sheriffs"!! [​IMG]

8. MotherJean

MotherJean Chillin' With My Peeps

My 4 mo. old chicks are losing a lot of feathers too. It has to be normal. There's no bare spots and all are the picture of good health. Although I've had chickens for years and years, this is my first time raising hatchlings so some of this is new to me too.

9. erin76

erin76 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 17, 2010
    Battle Ground, WA
    I read in the 4-H book that chicks will grow 3 sets of feathers before they are adults....I have 13 week olds that are losing many feathers, and from what I gathered from the book, they must be getting the final set...

10. 3chimama

3chimama Chillin' With My Peeps

May 8, 2010
    Pacific Northwest
    That would make sense. Thanks for the info.
    Quote:

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by