Is this a normal comb? Black and torn looking

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by theacw, Sep 13, 2011.

1. theacw

theacw Chillin' With My Peeps

May 7, 2011
    MN
    I really new to all this and never know what is normal looking as they are my first 2. Didnt notice until today so I am not sure if its normal or an injury or something.
    THANKS!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

*ETA Woah, is that blood in the last picture? I just noticed. Could be berry juice since its a common snack but idk....

Last edited: Sep 13, 2011
  2. nickie

nickie Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 25, 2011
    north central KY
    Looks like dried blood. Clean it up, I like baby wipes myself, but a wet paper towel will do nicely, check it out. You probably don't even need to do anything but keep an eye on it.

3. ChickensAreSweet

ChickensAreSweet Heavenly Grains for Hens

Looks like a pecking injury to me...they turn black.

4. theacw

May 7, 2011
    MN
    Ok thanks, I wonder if it was pecking..... I only have one other and they are incredibly close and neither have shown any aggression or even dominance. And they definitely have a lot of space. I put some neosporin on it just in case earlier but I will clean it up and hopefully it will heal up quick!

5. theacw

May 7, 2011
    MN
    Was that black area connected to that red skinned area before and ripped? Or is it just a slight injury on the edge of the comb? Just curious....

6. ChickensAreSweet

ChickensAreSweet Heavenly Grains for Hens

Quote:You can also get a comb injury from a fence, etc.

There are diseases that cause lesions on the comb too so keep a watch out for strange looking scabs, etc. that might appear. Also mites will do it.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by