Is this a normal guinea pip?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by SunHwaKwon, May 12, 2016.

1. SunHwaKwon

SunHwaKwon Overrun With Chickens

Jul 19, 2015
    Eastern Shore, MD
    I just went to check my turkey and guinea eggs, as the turkeys started rocking yesterday and noticed this:

[​IMG]

So far I have only hatched bantam chicks and they make very small holes whereas this is quite a large crack! If I didn't know better I would think I'd dropped it. I checked the eggs only a couple hours ago ad it wasn't there, though. I'm just being anxious :(

PS my bantams hatched yesterday (early) so that is why the incubator is dirty! Everything was supposed to be due this Saturday and I am shocked because I have been having trouble keeping temps up so I was expecting a late hatch.

2. Yorkshire Coop

Yorkshire Coop Moderator Staff Member

Aug 16, 2014
    Yorkshire, UK
    My Coop
    Looks OK to me, all pips are different. Some are the tiniest little cracks and others are BIG ones just like you have there.

I don't think you have anything to worry about. Sit on those hands and let nature its course.
    Good luck with your eggs :fl

3. SunHwaKwon

SunHwaKwon Overrun With Chickens

Jul 19, 2015
    Eastern Shore, MD
    Well it was definitely a pip but poor little piggle didn't make it out. He got his beak out but then gave up, perhaps too weak being early. :( He completely filled the shell so I think maybe he got too big, and I took him out this morning and the yolk was still pretty big, so maybe it was a combination of things. I wish he'd waited it out a couple days. Fingers crossed for the other six and the three turkeys.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by