Is this a normal molt? What could be causing this? what do I do?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by missychicky, Jul 28, 2010.

1. missychicky

missychicky Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 10, 2009
    Milwuakie. OR
    My black austrolorp has benn looking really rather bedraggled for the past 2 months. Just yesterday I started finding little piles of black feathers. Is this a normal molt? I'm starting to get concerned for her since she has been this way for such a long time. Here are some pics-

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 29, 2010
  2. Chickengal505

Chickengal505 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 4, 2010
    Bolivia N.C
    Do you have a roo?

P.S heres a BUMP

3. chkn

chkn Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 27, 2010
    When's the last time you dusted her with poultry dust? It's too early for a molt.

4. emys

emys Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 19, 2008
    Idaho
    If she's been naked without any new pin feathers for 2 months, that's not normal.

Seen any feather plucking among your flock?? You may need to sort some out.

I'd give that girl a private room and some extra protein.

(and some shade - without her feathers, her face is getting sunburned.)

Last edited: Jul 28, 2010
  5. sonew123

sonew123 Poultry Snuggie

Mar 16, 2009
    onchiota NY
    Quote:Thats what I was going to say-not normal without a single new feather coming in-mites-lice-check really good. feed extra protein for sure too:)

6. missychicky

Jun 10, 2009
    Milwuakie. OR
    (missychickie's mom) well, we do not have a Roo but it has been a while since she has been dusted. We both searched her for signs of mites (we had an infestation last year) and we can not find anything out of the ordinary. We do not seem to have any feather pulling hens either. The feathers just drop off of her, complete to the shaft. Problem is, I think our yellow sex link is getting the same thing- she is missing tummy feathers and a few wing feathers.
    By the way, how do you treat chicken sunburn? We did not know they could burn and her face has always been fairly red.

Thanks!

7. whillo

whillo Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 6, 2009
    Willamette Valley
    Sorry if this is a TJ, but was wondering, when you say "dust the chicken" does that mean with DE tossed into the bedding, or actually directly on the chicken?

8. missychicky

Jun 10, 2009
    Milwuakie. OR
    ok, so I would like to add that I DO see new feathers coming in in some places, but not everywhere. does that mean this IS a normal molt? Should I still dust her?

9. chkn

chkn Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 27, 2010
    Definitely dust her. Be careful not to breath it or get it in her eyes. Try to work it down to the skin. Get it under the wings and around the tail and vent, back of the neck and around the belly in this case. Repeat in another week or two. They don't normally molt down to bare patches like that.

I've just started tring a bird mite and lice spray I got from the pet store. One squirt under the neck and back feathers, one under each wing, a couple around the tail and vent. I'm trying the spray for the convenience (rather than rolling a chicken around on my lap with Sevin). Someone elsewhere recommended the Adams Flea Spray.

I can't vouch for either of these yet but I'm going to give them a try. It definitely got the bugs scrambling though.

10. missychicky

Jun 10, 2009
    Milwuakie. OR
    Update-
    I am missychicky's mom- missychicky is camping (and was very concerned about leaving me with her chickens until I mentioned I had you guys!)
    She wants to know if Austro seems to be recovering ok, and if there was anything else we should do. After the first post we started feeding her cat food (she adored it!) last week we went to the feed and seed and got piprizine, electrolytes, and DE. We put the electrolytes in the water with the piprizine and dusted everyone with poultry dust and DE. Three days ago we gave them a mash that someone recomened of yougurt, catfood. egg, and some feed. Are we doing all we can? Does it look like we are making progress?
    Thanks for your help- I know nothing about chickens.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by