Is this a Partridge Cochin??

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by jeffmazz, Oct 18, 2014.

1. jeffmazz

jeffmazz Out Of The Brooder

Dec 29, 2012
    My foster daughter inherited this cockerel from a school project when they hatched a bunch of eggs late last winter. I think it's a partridge cochin. Any thoughts??
    [​IMG]

This guy is very friendly (so far) and gets along good with my other cockerel (barred rock to the right in the picture).
    I had another barred rock cockerel but I had to eat him. These two seem to be doing very well with the 28 girls they share company with. The barred rock successfully fended off two attempted hawk attacks (that I witnessed and am aware of) so he has earned his keep so far. I haven't seen the other one in action yet but I have seen him chasing the barred rock around the yard. Any thoughts on what this guy is are appreciated.

Last edited: Oct 19, 2014
  2. aart

aart Chicken Juggler! Premium Member

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop
    Nice birds...no idea what kind you have there.

I've asked the moderator to move this post to the 'what breed is this' forum by clicking the red flag on your post...you'll get an answer quickly there.

3. BantamLover21

BantamLover21 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    From what I can see in the photo, it looks like your rooster has a pea comb. That would mean he isn't a Cochin (which have single combs), but he could be some variety of Brahma or a Brahma mix. Whatever he is, he's beautiful!

4. howfunkyisurchicken

howfunkyisurchicken Overrun With Chickens

Apr 11, 2011
    Tn
    x2 on the partridge Brahma.

5. Michael OShay

Michael OShay Chicken Obsessed

May 14, 2014
    Montana
    I agree; it's a Partridge Brahma rooster.

6. jeffmazz

jeffmazz Out Of The Brooder

Dec 29, 2012
    Thank you all for the replies. As BantamLover21 said, he does have a pea comb........... so Brahma it is. Thanks again everyone!

7. Wyandottes7

Wyandottes7 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    Partridge Brahma.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by