Is this a phoenix??

shchinchillas

Chirping
9 Years
Jul 8, 2010
PA
We placed an order with Cackle Hatchery and got a few different breeds. The sole reason we ordered was to get Phoenix Duckwings. When our order arrived, we had a letter with it apologizing for the incorrect number of chicks, and that we'd be refunded the money. When we called Cackle, they told us the Phoenix chicks did not hatch, and the batch was bad. We still had 27 chicks, and we ordered 25 so assumed they just threw in 5 extra so they could meet the shipping min.

After everyone got home, we kept thinking that we really DID get the phoenix chicks.... am I correct in thinking this is one? We have 5 total that look exactly like this @ a week old.

chicken.jpg

Maybe a golden phoenix? I have some that look the same only a bit younger and Meyer only has the golden. Though I'm not certain if mine are even phoenix...mixed bag so they don't tell you what you got.

Should be interesting watching them grow, at least. At this point I'm really just wondering if they ARE phoenix. Maybe they just threw us another color instead of the duckwing, and still gave us the breed we had wanted?

Darn hatcheries for not giving a packing list with what came! lol

I think there is a good possibility that it is a phoenix. The legs look to be the right color. Are they small compared to the other chicks?

The other chicks are silkie bantams, and the largest of these guys is quite a bit larger then the silkies. The smallest of this breed is only slightly larger then the silkies.

I'm heading up to the farm tomorrow morning, so I'll try and get more pictures.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom