Is this a pip? It's on the side, should I worry?

highwayhens

In the Brooder
10 Years
Sep 2, 2009
Our broody bantam cochin is setting on six eggs that are all from the same day of laying, but from it's a mixed flock with three roosters. One hatched yesterday evening, and mama has been showing it around today. While she was off the nest, we saw that three eggs are pipped, or so we think. One doesn't look like a real hole. It's more of a star shaped crack.

I saw some movement from the back brown egg at one point, so I'm not worried about it. The front brown one is the one I'm worried about. The "pip" is kinda in the middle of the egg and it's cracked but no obvious hole.

The middle brown egg has a pip too, and the hole is mid-sized--not as big as the back one, but not as small as the front one.

Close up of the front egg.
Thanks everyone!

Our broody bantam cochin is setting on six eggs that are all from the same day of laying, but from it's a mixed flock with three roosters. One hatched yesterday evening, and mama has been showing it around today. While she was off the nest, we saw that three eggs are pipped, or so we think. One doesn't look like a real hole. It's more of a star shaped crack.

I saw some movement from the back brown egg at one point, so I'm not worried about it. The front brown one is the one I'm worried about. The "pip" is kinda in the middle of the egg and it's cracked but no obvious hole.

The middle brown egg has a pip too, and the hole is mid-sized--not as big as the back one, but not as small as the front one.

Close up of the front egg.
Thanks everyone!
Yep, it's a pip. Mine do that all of the time. Usually 12 hours from then I have a chick.

I used to worry too, but after it happened 3 or 4 times, I realized they usually figure it out. Do we have a chick yet??
fl.gif
jumpy.gif

This morning I went out to look and the back egg (large hole) had hatched, and the chick was most of the way out, but it was dead. ????? We were so sad about it. Actually I kind of freaked and panicked because I saw mama peck it twice and then I imagined that she had maybe killed it. But my son thought it was just chicken "cpr."

The middle egg was partly zipped, but there was no movement from the chick inside, so we assume that it had died too. :-( :-(

But the "star pip" egg that I was so worried about hatched today, and tonight mama and her two survivors are safe inside a closed coop. She abandoned her last two eggs, and I went to candle them tonight. One of them appeared to have quit at about a day 12 level.

I have a bunch of questions about this first hatch experience, but I think I'll start a new thread.

Thanks, everyone!

Back
Top Bottom