1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Is this a pip or something else? ~indent in the shell~

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by xIndigoSkyx, May 13, 2011.

1. xIndigoSkyx

xIndigoSkyx Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 4, 2010
    St.Albert, Alberta
    Well this little guy is supposed to hatch tomorrow or today or Sunday and I was looking thro the top and I saw a little crack/indent but I don't hear peeping or anything. Is it pipping and just being really silent or is It like a drop or knock mark. I don't know if one of my family member's bumped the box or not but if it is a knock mark will it live till the hatch with proper conditions or will it die right now?

2. davekrista

davekrista Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 9, 2010
    Uxbridge, MA
    if it was a pip it would be indented outward... is the indent in or out?

3. xIndigoSkyx

Dec 4, 2010
    St.Albert, Alberta
    In... Is this really bad!?

4. pete55

pete55 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 19, 2011
    Suffolk, UK
    Hi

If its dented inwards then its been damaged at some point but the membrane maybe still intact. Is'nt this the egg you heard 'peeping' a day or so ago? If you have heard it vocalising then it will have INTERNALLY PIPPED. The next stage would be EXTERNAL PIPPING evidenced by a slight outward dent or crack.

Perhaps you should do a final assessment of this egg using a candler and then place it in a high humidity incubator.

If you read the link I've provided below then you will get more relevant information in more detail.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=491013

I hope this helps you with your hatching.

Pete;)

5. xIndigoSkyx

Dec 4, 2010
    St.Albert, Alberta
    The first one internally piped and externally piped and the 2nd one is moving and whacking and the membrane is still intact I think in the next day or so I could have a set of fuzzy yellow duckling to accompany little Ehdo

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by