1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    Not a member yet? join BYC here & then introduce yourself in our community forum here.

Is this a pip?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Kayla’s Chickens, Jul 17, 2018.

1. This is an EE egg on day 20-21. Is this a pip?? And if it is a pip, how long will it be before it hatches?
    Thanks
    A8E6066B-A698-4E48-BA93-11376462056F.jpeg

ButtonquailGirl14 likes this.
  2. RubyNala97

RubyNala97 Crowing

Apr 9, 2015
    Hudson Valley, NY
    Honestly, it doesn’t look like a pip to me from what I can see in the pic. Looks like some discoloration on the shell that you may not have noticed before but I could be wrong! Does that spot look raised at all or do you see a crack through it? You can also candle the egg to see if the chick is internally pipped.

*also, if you have no action with the eggs then you can candle them all to see if they are progressing. The aircell will “drawdown” and look really big at hatch time and you will see the beak inside the aircell if they have internally pipped.

3. The egg was always that color (pink/brown). I really don’t want to open my incubator (or candle) because I don’t want to ruin my hatch. It is raised a little but not a lot. Maybe internal pip? I’m just really not sure.

4. oregonkat

oregonkat Crowing 5 Years

Oct 5, 2012
    Southern Oregon
    Hard to tell but usually the external pip will be preceded by the egg moving about a bit, rocking and rolling. Would not be an 'internal pip' as it is on the egg shell itself, the internal pip is the chick piercing the air cell membrane on the inside of the egg. Best thing to do now is to just wait and see if there is any movement or change. Keep posting!

5. Okay thank you!! I will keep a close eye on it then.

6. I haven’t been home to check in the egg. But I am currently in the feed store buying chick starter grower and some pine shavings (along with a chick feeder, waterer, ‘sav-a-chick’, etc.). I can’t wait until the eggs hatch!!

7. aart

aart Chicken Juggler! Premium Member 5 Years

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop
    Looks like a pip to me!
    Only time will tell.

8. Thank you!! I just got back home... If it is a pip it hasn’t gotten much further but the egg moved when I tapped on the incubator glass. I hope it hatches though!

9. No more progress or pips this morning... So silly me just had to candle one... It’s day 21-22 now and there is still veining in the eggs. Is this a bad thing? Also it was moving inside the egg.

Last edited: Jul 18, 2018
  10. aart

aart Chicken Juggler! Premium Member 5 Years

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: