Is this a plymouth rock?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by mcnicolclan, Jul 6, 2010.

1. mcnicolclan

mcnicolclan Out Of The Brooder

Jul 6, 2010
    Wisconsin
    My family has just started on our chicken adventure and received our first box of chicks 3 weeks ago. We ordered 25 light brahmas from McMurray Hatchery. They sent one extra mystery chick that my daughter noticed immediatly and they have become best friends. Brownie looks very much like the rocks that are pictured on the home page but I would welcome any comments or confirmation on his breed. I was told that the "extra" chicks are almost always roosters so we are assuming he is a boy. This pic doesn't show the top of his head but he has a light spot that has been there since he arrived.

I'm also wondering at what age we will be able to tell the sex of the brahmas. We will only have room for 15 in our coop so will need to give some away once I can tell which ones are roosters.

Thanks for your help.

[​IMG]

2. Elite Silkies

Elite Silkies Overrun With Chickens

Jun 17, 2009
    Oklahoma
    My Coop
    I think it's a Barred Rock. Not sure how long it takes to tell the sex on Brahma's. [​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 6, 2010
  3. burquechick

burquechick Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 13, 2008
    Louisiana
    Yes, this is a Barred Rock variety of Plymouth Rocks.

4. PotterWatch

PotterWatch My Patronus is a Chicken

Apr 22, 2008
    Virginia
    He is either a BR or a black sex-link. Looks like a BR so far.

5. mcnicolclan

mcnicolclan Out Of The Brooder

Jul 6, 2010
    Wisconsin
    Thanks for the quick replies. I'm sure this will be the first post of many. Order of the Poultry...too funny!

6. kaitlyn_rae2003

kaitlyn_rae2003 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 8, 2010
    Laconia NH
    Yup BR! gosh what a cutie! I just got 3 10 week old BR pullets. LOVE THEM. not sure of the sex. Comb is a little big, but I really cant speculate. cute cute cute

7. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

Looks like a boy, a BR most likely, but could be a black sexlink since they are similar at that age. Definite male according to coloring.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by