Is this a Porcelain (silkie)?

Funky Feathers

former Fattie
11 Years
Jan 15, 2009
Maryland
My Coop
My Coop
I hatched this little girl from my Splash X Splash pen. They are from George M., and I was wondering, since he likes to play with color, could she be a Porcelain? If I sell her do I call her Porcelain or PQ Splash? Sonoran?
hmm.png

000_3800.jpg

000_3799.jpg

000_3795.jpg

000_3794.jpg

Two typical splashes (black or blue based) should not produce porcelain (which is mille fleur based). Even if the 2 splashes carried the lavender gene, they would produce lavender splash, not porcelain. You might want to check with George to see if the birds could possibly carry the lav gene. I am a bit concerned about where the yellow is coming from though in a splash breeding. Do either of the parents have red leakage? That's a sign of something leaking and what I would consider PQ from a splash. Just my thoughts.

Many of George's birds carry both blue and lavender. However, looking at the bird, some of the feathering looks really dark to be porcelain. A double dose of lav dilutes both black and buff pigment significantly. Not sure how much it would dilute red (as compared with diluting buff). I do know that the lav diluted buff is very different than buff--a very soft versus vibrant colour--much more like a pale wheaten than like a guinea gold.

Hi, I recently purchased my first pair of Bearded Silkies, they are buff colored, I do have a concern about the cockerals comb, it is more red than blue, should I be worried about showing him? They were hatched Spring "2009". Thanks

If she is pure for lav, she would be porcelain as defined by silkie breeders. If not, poor splash. Look at the underside of her feathers and see if the shaft is darker than or the same colour as the webbing of the feather. That will tell you whether she is lavender or not. Talking to George Thanksgiving weekend, he thinks we need to breed mottle into the porcelain silkies--essentially, we need to aim for the genotype of true porcelain. I'm already working on mottle, but getting type even close has been a challenge.

I am not sure I understand why a pure lavender pure blue would have a phenotype closer to the splash than the lav, but that is how it works in actuality. I have to assume that the mechanics of the dilutions from blue and lavender are different since they do not seem to be cumulative, at least as faras black pigment goes.

Was this chick hatched with a diluted chipmunk pattern? I have a porcelain hen that was born this color (dilute chipmunk at hatch). She is the chick on the right. And as a mature hen.

brownchipmunks.jpg

porcelain.jpg

Back
Top Bottom