Is this a Porcelain (silkie)?

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by Funky Feathers, Dec 7, 2009.

1. Funky Feathers

Funky Feathers former Fattie

Jan 15, 2009
    Maryland
    My Coop
    I hatched this little girl from my Splash X Splash pen. They are from George M., and I was wondering, since he likes to play with color, could she be a Porcelain? If I sell her do I call her Porcelain or PQ Splash? Sonoran? [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. hinkjc

hinkjc Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Jan 11, 2007
    PA
    Two typical splashes (black or blue based) should not produce porcelain (which is mille fleur based). Even if the 2 splashes carried the lavender gene, they would produce lavender splash, not porcelain. You might want to check with George to see if the birds could possibly carry the lav gene. I am a bit concerned about where the yellow is coming from though in a splash breeding. Do either of the parents have red leakage? That's a sign of something leaking and what I would consider PQ from a splash. Just my thoughts.

3. Funky Feathers

Jan 15, 2009
    Maryland
    My Coop
    The mother hen has gold (buff) in her, all over. They also carry the Lavender gene. So does that make it possible? Or is it just PQ?

4. Sonoran Silkies

Sonoran Silkies Flock Mistress

Jan 4, 2009
    Tempe, Arizona
    Many of George's birds carry both blue and lavender. However, looking at the bird, some of the feathering looks really dark to be porcelain. A double dose of lav dilutes both black and buff pigment significantly. Not sure how much it would dilute red (as compared with diluting buff). I do know that the lav diluted buff is very different than buff--a very soft versus vibrant colour--much more like a pale wheaten than like a guinea gold.

5. Bijou Bantys

Bijou Bantys Out Of The Brooder

Dec 7, 2009
    Hi, I recently purchased my first pair of Bearded Silkies, they are buff colored, I do have a concern about the cockerals comb, it is more red than blue, should I be worried about showing him? They were hatched Spring "2009". Thanks

6. Funky Feathers

Jan 15, 2009
    Maryland
    My Coop
    So Sonoran, would she be considered a Porcelain or a poor quality Splash?

7. Sonoran Silkies

Sonoran Silkies Flock Mistress

Jan 4, 2009
    Tempe, Arizona
    If she is pure for lav, she would be porcelain as defined by silkie breeders. If not, poor splash. Look at the underside of her feathers and see if the shaft is darker than or the same colour as the webbing of the feather. That will tell you whether she is lavender or not. Talking to George Thanksgiving weekend, he thinks we need to breed mottle into the porcelain silkies--essentially, we need to aim for the genotype of true porcelain. I'm already working on mottle, but getting type even close has been a challenge.

I am not sure I understand why a pure lavender pure blue would have a phenotype closer to the splash than the lav, but that is how it works in actuality. I have to assume that the mechanics of the dilutions from blue and lavender are different since they do not seem to be cumulative, at least as faras black pigment goes.

8. AHappychick

AHappychick Wanna-be Farmer

Dec 16, 2008
    westchester
    Quote:sorry what is mottle? oh I forgot its the black white painted look [​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 7, 2009
  9. fancybanty

fancybanty Out Of The Brooder

Dec 10, 2007
    Was this chick hatched with a diluted chipmunk pattern? I have a porcelain hen that was born this color (dilute chipmunk at hatch). She is the chick on the right. And as a mature hen.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

10. AHappychick

AHappychick Wanna-be Farmer

Dec 16, 2008
    westchester
    Quote:Thanky you for posting tht I have been trying to see a PI chick and really am happy to see yours. BTW she is beautiful!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by