Is this a prolapse?

Duckmom27

Songster
May 30, 2020
NC
A few hours ago I was holding one of my ducklings and noticed she felt swollen underneath and behind her legs. I flipped her (well, maybe him?) over and found this. At first I thought it was a tick but it's not. Is this a mild prolapse? She/he is about two and a half weeks old.

If it makes a difference to diagnosing, about a week ago my daughter tripped and fell on her and she was limping for a while. I had her separated from the other ducklings for a few days until she was back to normal. I read trauma could result in prolapse, but everything I've read so far was on grown drakes, not ducklings. And I didn't notice a problem in this area of her body until today. The area behind this spot feels swollen like there's a semi-squishy marble behind it

She's eating and drinking and walking around as normal just like always. She's always been kind of a runt and not quite as active as the other ducklings, but her activity level for what's normal for her hasn't changed. Today she was actually a little more active than usual. Normally when I give treats (today it was tiny bits of lettuce in a bowl of water) she kind of stands back and I have to give her some individually or she won't get any, but today's she was right up there with the 2 week old Pekin who's 3x her size diving for the lettuce. Anyway, she's not acting like anything's wrong at all

Suggestions on what I should do? I tried to massage it in but it wouldn't move and I didn't want to hurt her and I'm not totally sure it's a prolapse or not anyway so I don't want to do the wrong thing.

Screenshot_20200530-030625.png

Attachments

• Screenshot_20200530-030625.png
    Screenshot_20200530-030625.png
    664.9 KB · Views: 0
It isn't any hotter than the rest of her belly. The area right behind it is swollen larger than normal and that's what I first noticed. She sits in my hand every day and today I noticed she had a lump there. The red bump is hard and dry. Right behind it it's swollen, kind of firm but not super firm. Thanks so much for the help!

It isn't any hotter than the rest of her belly. The area right behind it is swollen larger than normal and that's what I first noticed. She sits in my hand every day and today I noticed she had a lump there. The red bump is hard and dry. Right behind it it's swollen, kind of firm but not super firm. Thanks so much for the help!
If she's acting normal, I'd re evaluate in a day.

It's here where I drew the red dot

I didn't know ducks had a belly button! Does it mean anything that it's swollen if it is the belly button?

IMG_20200530_040044894~2.jpg

Back
Top Bottom