Is this a prolapse?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by mattoid, Mar 14, 2013.

1. mattoid

mattoid New Egg

Mar 1, 2013
    Sutton, Surrey, UK
    Just collected the eggs from our 4 and found one smeared with blood.

Upon further investigation have discovered a bloody protrusion. It seems to be pulsing and dirty with chicken poop but also seems to be distinct from the vent - whichis why I'm unsure if it's a prolapse (as I thought these were when the insides turned out of the vent itself)

[​IMG]

The vent is at the bottom of the picture with the slight curve and the suspect article is on the left. Apologies for the unclear photo, it was the best I could do with the bird in my left hand and my ipad in my right!

Possibly unrelated, but worth mentioning is a bit of a bald leg. Otherwise the bird seems fine, happy pecking around the garden and taking dust baths etc.

[​IMG]

Any ideas? Will obviously take to vet if its serious but if it's something I can treat what's the best way to approach this?

2. wren

wren Chillin' With My Peeps

May 27, 2007
    St Augustine, FL
    I would check them for mites and or lice. That's normally what blood on an egg means.

3. casportpony

casportpony Team Tube Feeding Captain & Poop Inspector General Premium Member

Jun 24, 2012
    My Coop
    Yes, looks like it might be the start of a prolapse and probably where the blood came from.

Clean her up really well, put on a glove and check her for another egg, but be very gentle, don't want to break an egg if there's one in there. I'd probably also give her a human calcium pill.

4. casportpony

casportpony Team Tube Feeding Captain & Poop Inspector General Premium Member

Jun 24, 2012
    My Coop

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by