Is this a prolapsed vent?

Bobbiw2

Chirping
9 Years
Jul 7, 2014
Madison County, Indiana
I have injured my leg and I am currently unable to care for my animals. My wonderful husband has taken on the chore for me, but is not as good at watching for health issues as he is at feeding them.

He just came into the house and said that I had a duck problem .I had him bring her in and we have a very serious problem!

This is a nine month old Indian runner.

Please someone tell me what this is. Is this a prolapsed vent?

I don't even know how to begin to treat this and I am in a panic. Please, can someone help me?

20180419_193150.jpg

Last edited:
That looks like a prolapse for sure. Unfortunately, I've never had to deal with one. I'm not going to give you any advice on how to put it back in (due to lack of experience) but make sure that you rinse it off with warm water on a cloth. Can someone with prolapse experience fill in where I couldn't?

That is quite a large prolapse, is she pooping?
Try to keep the exposed tissue moist with ointment so it does not become necrotic and die. The swelling will have to go down in order for the prolapse to go in.

Let see if some duck keepers have some suggestions for her care @Miss Lydia @CayugaJana

I think you would approach treating a prolapse in a duck the same way you do for a chicken. You may find this helpful http://www.the-chicken-chick.com/prolapse-vent-causes-treatment-graphic/

I had a mild case in a chicken, but haven't experienced it with a duck.

Has this duck laid an egg at all prior to this? Can you tell if there is an egg stuck in the passageway?

Thank you @CiscoChickens @dawg53 @Wyorp Rock. I really appreciate the help and suggestions.

I spend a lot of time reading the threads on Backyard Chickens ( I learn many things) and I remembered that I had come across information about prolapse in the past.

I immediately started a search for "prolapsed vent".

I was not sure that it was a prolapse because I have never dealt with prolapse before and it definitely did not look the way that I pictured a prolapse in my mind. But I knew that she needed some kind of care right away so I began treating her with the suggestions that I had found.

I did not have any Preparation H or honey on hand so I used sugar water, Vetricyn, Neosporin, and warm baths through the night.

Unfortunately it was too late and early this morning my sweetheart nuzzled down into my shoulder and passed in a peaceful way. It hurts a lot to loose her, but I can only imagine how much she was suffering. Even though I am hurting now, she is no longer hurting.

I regret daily that I cannot spend time with my babies right now because of my leg. I lost many loving moments with my precious Trinket. And I am thankful for my husband who is taking care of them in the best way he can.

Thanks again for your help.

Back
Top Bottom