IS THIS A QUAIL?!

Discussion in 'Quail' started by ChickenLayD, Jun 8, 2016.

1. ChickenLayD

ChickenLayD Out Of The Brooder

Mar 9, 2016
    [​IMG]
    My cousin's friend's cat was caught hunting this baby quail? this evening. They thought she was a chicken so they brought her to me. She had a very unique look, and I couldn't remember ever seeing a baby chicken that looked like this. I looked at some pictures of baby quails online and found some that look identical to her. I noticed she doesn't have raised feathers on her head like some of the others I saw. Any information on this would be greatly appreciated. Also wondering the breed... thank you! :)

2. rottlady

rottlady Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 20, 2016
    Georges Mills, NH
    looks like a wild turkey poult

3. ChickenLayD

Mar 9, 2016
    Oh wow... Any advice on care? I have been giving her baby chicken mash...

4. rottlady

Mar 20, 2016
    Georges Mills, NH
    if it is a baby turkey you need game bird starter. It is higher in protein

1 person likes this.
  5. yellowherb

yellowherb Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 22, 2015
    Florida
    definitely a turkey chick.

they recommend high protein non medicated food for turkey chicks. But baby chick food will do in a pinch and you can always increase the protein amount by adding some cooked scrambled eggs.

1 person likes this.
  6. ChickenLayD

Mar 9, 2016
    Also, can you mix those with chickens?

Last edited: Jun 8, 2016
  7. rottlady

Mar 20, 2016
    Georges Mills, NH
    my sister in law has raised several batches saved from the hay cutter. They grew up in her coop with chickens and eventually wander off when they mature. she did have one that beat up the chickens but the rest just moved on when they grew up

1 person likes this.
  8. yellowherb

Mar 22, 2015
    Florida
    It is recommended not to put turkeys with chickens because there are some diseases (like blackhead) which chickens can pass to turkeys. Saying that, I have done it and haven't lost a poult. Currently I have two wild turkey poults with cockatiels because they are super crazy flyers unlike heritage or non wild turkeys.

That's a new hatched turkey, still has the egg tooth. Love baby turkeys :)

Last edited: Jun 8, 2016
    1 person likes this.
  9. ChickenLayD

Mar 9, 2016
    Thank you so much for all of the timely responses! Does anyone know about eating their eggs? And how often they lay?

10. yellowherb

Mar 22, 2015
    Florida
    Turkeys are seasonal layers and lay every other day on average during the laying season(based on my brother's hen). You can eat their eggs, they are just larger than a jumbo chicken egg. The laying season on a turkey is just about to wrap up.

Under artificial conditions you may keep a turkey laying longer than natural conditions do. I'm not sure you can get them to lay year round though.

1 person likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by