Is this a quail?

Discussion in 'Quail' started by Elmntal, Sep 25, 2011.

1. Elmntal

Elmntal Out Of The Brooder

Sep 25, 2011
    I found this little guy in the backyard of our rental property in a residential neighborhood. I posted in the chicken breed section, but pretty compelling evidence suggests it might be a quail. True? Any idea of species? Should I keep it?

[​IMG]

2. Mibotsu

Mibotsu Chillin' With My Peeps

May 23, 2011
    Balbriggan, Ireland
    Look like a english white coturnix, not sure of size really guss it could be a button if its really small

3. CoCkYone88

CoCkYone88 Out Of The Brooder

Jul 25, 2011
    Id say x2

4. Mibotsu

Mibotsu Chillin' With My Peeps

May 23, 2011
    Balbriggan, Ireland
    gonna take another stab at it, and say its standing about 4" tall, if that is 1/4" hardware cloth, if so then it could very possibly be a button

5. doubleatraining

doubleatraining Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 25, 2011
    Franklinton, NC
    LOL do you happen to live in NC? I lost 2 in the woods when I was trying to catch the slippery buggers today.

6. TinyTotsSeramas

TinyTotsSeramas Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 21, 2011
    Smithsburg
    Quote:o_O
    That would be weird if this was one of your birds!! I dont think it would have been loose that long concidering something probably would have gotten it by first night fall! White doesnt hide very well!

7. The Critter Place

The Critter Place Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 13, 2011
    Tucson, Az.
    It's pretty!

I would guess white Coturnix. The face/head looks too big and too long for button, but it could be the angle too.
    Could be a young Coturnix.

8. The Critter Place

The Critter Place Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 13, 2011
    Tucson, Az.
    Looks like 1/2" wire to me. Not a real good shot, but the feet look kinda big too.

9. Elmntal

Elmntal Out Of The Brooder

Sep 25, 2011
    No, I'm in california. The four inches guess is probably about right. Should I put up a "found quail" poster? I have no idea how valuable they are beyond pet affection, I just don't want thee little guy to feel out of sorts unnecessarily...

10. Chinchilla2

Chinchilla2 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 9, 2011
    Red Rock
    Going with the possibility that is 1/2" hardware cloth.... From the hook of the beak tip, it could be a white mutation of the bobwhite. The beak looks more like a bob than a coturnix. Check out the pics near the bottom at http://grovelandquailfarm.com/bwquail.htm

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by