Is this a raspberry vine?

Discussion in 'Gardening' started by ohju1ia, Oct 23, 2013.

1. ohju1ia

ohju1ia Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 10, 2013
    Ball Ground, GA
    I found this growing near my garden, about 2 feet away from my failed store bought raspberry cane. Is it a raspberry??
    [​IMG]

2. ohju1ia

Jul 10, 2013
    Ball Ground, GA
    Here is a picture of the cane
    [​IMG]

3. StupidBird

StupidBird Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 8, 2009
    GA
    I think it is a wild blackberry, only because the leaf is not as white fuzzy underneath as my raspberries are, and the stem not the same. I'd just keep it for awhile if you're not sure. Looks like you potted it up? After the first season, my raspberries that were happy with their spot sent shoots up all over the place and became quite easy to tell apart from wild blackberries and from the thornless blackberries.

I turn my back a minute and it turns into a jungle out there:rolleyes:

4. Arielle

Arielle Chicken Obsessed

Feb 19, 2011
    Massachusetts, USA
    I cannot grow cultivated berries, but I sure get lots of wild ones and volunteers Looks like you might have a blackberry, but other plants are similar. Concerned there is a divide in the stem so low which is not characteristic of well cultivated types, but more like a wild vine. WOrth holding onto and see. Do you have a good place to keept he potted plant for the winter, out of wind and such. My potted plants do better if I can bury the pot or store on the north side of the house.

5. destinduck

destinduck obsessed with "ducks"

Mar 20, 2008
    n.w.FLORIDA
    Yea . I agree. Looks like our wild blackberries we have here. Both are
    yummy.

6. ohju1ia

Jul 10, 2013
    Ball Ground, GA
    I'm excited to see if it produces!

7. destinduck

Mar 20, 2008
    n.w.FLORIDA
    You know it will. lol . Where ya located. Put it in your avatar. At least your state or Country[​IMG]

8. ohju1ia

Jul 10, 2013
    Ball Ground, GA
    It was in there. I don't know what happened. I'm in N. GA, in the foothills.

9. destinduck

Mar 20, 2008
    n.w.FLORIDA
    No telling but Its there now. Anyway I have two differrent kinds of raspberries (from lowes. They died back last fall but came back and produced again this year. One is tasty the other one is not very good. Ill probabaly put that one in the empty lot with the reject plants We have a few wild blackberries growing around the house.There was alot to pick this year with all the rain we had. I wish they were the thornless variety though. haha

10. StupidBird

StupidBird Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 8, 2009
    GA
    Oh, putting rejects in a place like "the empty lot"! Hmmm, whose lot needs thornless blackberries, rampant lemon balm, raspberries, sun chokes, forsythia....hehehee

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by