Is this a really bad molt? Or is there something wrong with my duck?

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by DUCKGIRL89, Jan 26, 2012.

1. DUCKGIRL89

DUCKGIRL89 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 28, 2011
    TN
    My year old Rouen drake is have issues with water.... It just soaks up in his feathers. People tell me its just a bad molt. But i don't think so. Hes also loosing coloring around his eyes, and is loosing feathers all over him body. What could this be? Is my drake OK? I will try to get a picture tomorrow.

2. Wulfandwyn

Wulfandwyn Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 5, 2011
    My muscovy drake is having water logged feather issues too. But I think his is just a molt combined with bad wet weather. I didn't get a chance to check his oil gland, but you might want to do that to your drake.

3. Amiga

Amiga Overrun with Runners Premium Member

Jan 3, 2010
    Southern New England
    Have you done the check for parasites?

Nutritional problems could cause this, stress, parasites, or illness. I'd try extra nutrition boost (vitamins,electrolytes,probiotics), warm baths, apple cider vinegar, and a very close look at his skin and feathers.

An easy start would be to take a recently dropped feather and find a magnifying glass, even a microscope and look at that feather very closely. If no bugs, good. Get a good look at his skin.

Is he being stressed by something? How are the others?

4. DUCKGIRL89

DUCKGIRL89 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 28, 2011
    TN
    He was just moved to a different pen or breeding season, but he was like this before he was moved, all the others seem to be fine. they were all in a molt, and they all just finished... he never did...

5. Amiga

Amiga Overrun with Runners Premium Member

Jan 3, 2010
    Southern New England
    Ducks seem to be real individuals when it comes to what bothers them.

Try going through the list of things I suggested you look at and rule out something he should be treated for. As always, sometimes an underlying illness can cause these things, so if a thorough elimination of any other reason leaves you feeling he may have an infection, think about whether you want to try antibiotics. I think of them as almost a last resort, but they can be lifesavers and I feel it's good to be prepared.

Can you try giving him a few extra protein treats for a few days? He may need extra protein for feathers.

Last edited: Jan 27, 2012
  6. mrpekinduck

mrpekinduck Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 29, 2011
    Ducky Land!
    He could have wet feather. It is a condition in which the bird soils their feathers to an extent in which preening is impossible. In extreme cases you need to wait till the birds next molt. In lesser conditions, the bird can be treated by soaking in warm water and carefully drying the feathers to remove any dirt or mud.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by