Is this a Rhode Island Red chick, or sex linked?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by sheeshshe, Mar 2, 2013.

1. sheeshshe

sheeshshe Chillin' With My Peeps

May 6, 2009
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

I got some eggs from my friend. This one came out of one of RIR eggs, but the rooster is either a wyandotte, lavender americauna. I can't remember if she said if she had a RIR rooster or not too. What I'm trying to figure out, is with those rooster choices, would this be a sex linked variety and thus a male because of the light coloring?

2. Fred's Hens

Fred's Hens Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

[​IMG]

So many birds look similar to this, at the fuzz ball stage, it is impossible to know or guess the breeding.
    However, I can say with certainty that it is NOT a Rhode Island Red. See a Red chick above.

Last edited: Mar 2, 2013
  3. Egghead_Jr

Egghead_Jr Overrun With Chickens

Oct 16, 2010
    NEK, VT
    I think she must have a RIR rooster too. Likely they are hatchery birds not heritage. When I got hatchery RIR (Production Reds) the chicks were yellow.

The Silver Wyandotte roo would impart "chipmunk" pattern with males being cream/yellow and females silver (sex linked). The chick has no pattern.

A lavender roo over RIR would result in all black chicks.

So this leaves another rooster, I'd guess she has a Production Red Rooster with the hens.

These results are via Chicken Calculator http://kippenjungle.nl/kruising.html

Last edited: Mar 2, 2013
  4. sheeshshe

May 6, 2009
    Ok, she does have a RIR rooster. So it is pure. She gave me a wyandotte egg and an EE egg too. can you tell me if they look true too? I can't imagine the chances of them all being pure!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

5. sheeshshe

May 6, 2009
    My guess is that the wyandotte egg was mixed with RIR.. thoughts?

6. cjschickens

cjschickens Out Of The Brooder

Apr 23, 2012
    Yes, those chicks are mixed. I have a rir roo over slw and the chicks look exactly like that. The roos will be white with a black spot on thier head. The hens will be a rusty black mixed fuzz.

7. sheeshshe

May 6, 2009
    the chipmunk looking one came from the blue egg. could be full ee/amercauna mix (she has a lavender americauna) or could be EE/RIR?

8. sheeshshe

May 6, 2009
    do you have a picture of those? I'd love to see!

9. It looks like 1 in that pic is a pure Americana the other one RIR the pic on the first post I am 100% sure that is no Pure RIR.

10. Fred's Hens

Fred's Hens Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Whenever there are multiple roosters and hens involved, the resultant chicks? The odds are in the favor of barnyard mixes. The good news is that mutts are chickens and have no idea what they are and simply don't care.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by