Is this a Rhode Island Red/ pics

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by xxIsabellaxx, Apr 2, 2011.

1. xxIsabellaxx

xxIsabellaxx Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 31, 2011
    This my Hen Lucy. She is sick right now. but When i showed her last year at my 4-H fair they said she probably wasn't a Rhode Island Red. They said she was to dark and she had to many decsent feathers.

[​IMG]

2. Jake Levi

Jake Levi Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 14, 2011
    Harrisville, MI
    I'd say that she is, most likely a hatchery bird.

Whoever said she was too dark doesnt know RIRs very well, if anything she should be darker.

3. Illia

Illia Crazy for Colors

Oct 19, 2009
    Forks, WA
    Quote:Bingo! People are far too used to the "Production Red" type Rhode Island Reds, which are far from the original and the breed standard, being a drab and pale orangey brown to reddish brown. True, good Rhode Island Reds should be a blood red, almost black color with great sheen.

Next time you should go back there, bring an APA Standard of Perfection book, and show them otherwise! [​IMG]

4. xxIsabellaxx

Mar 31, 2011
    Quote:Bingo! People are far too used to the "Production Red" type Rhode Island Reds, which are far from the original and the breed standard, being a drab and pale orangey brown to reddish brown. True, good Rhode Island Reds should be a blood red, almost black color with great sheen.

Next time you should go back there, bring an APA Standard of Perfection book, and show them otherwise! [​IMG]

Thanks she's won 1st palce against all of the RIR in the show. [​IMG]

5. Chris09

Chris09 Circle (M) Ranch

Jun 1, 2009
    Ohio

Thanks she's won 1st palce against all of the RIR in the show. [​IMG]

The thing about "winning" against the other R.I. Red is that the other R.I. Red could have been more of a production type Red than yours is, or the "judge" wasn't a APA licensed poultry judge and didn't know what a Rhode Island Red should look like.

From what I can see from the picture you Red lacks in tail color (needs to be more Black), her body plumage color need to be a more even Red color and less Black, her under-color and surface-color need to be more darker.

Now please don't think that I am putting your bird down because I am not, I am letting you know the fault that I see from the picture and letting you now that she a Production Red and not a true Rhode Island.

Chris

Last edited: Apr 2, 2011
  6. xxIsabellaxx

Mar 31, 2011
    Quote:Thanks she's won 1st palce against all of the RIR in the show. [​IMG]

The thing about "winning" against the other R.I. Red is that the other R.I. Red could have been more of a production type Red than yours is, or the "judge" wasn't a APA licensed poultry judge and didn't know what a Rhode Island Red should look like.

From what I can see from the picture you Red lacks in tail color (needs to be more Black), her body plumage color need to be a more even Red color and less Black, her under-color and surface-color need to be more darker.

Now please don't think that I am putting your bird down because I am not, I am letting you know the fault that I see from the picture and letting you now that she a Production Red and not a true Rhode Island.

Chris

It's ok. [​IMG] Since she is older now and went through a couple of moults he tail is acctually much darker than in this photo. The photo was taken the first year we had her when she was a younger Hen.

7. Jake Levi

Jake Levi Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 14, 2011
    Harrisville, MI
    Stay with them Isabella, get a pair or trio of heritage RIRs and breed up your own flock. You have plenty of time to build a real heritage flock.

8. xxIsabellaxx

Mar 31, 2011
    Quote:Thanks Jake.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by