Is this a RIR Pullet egg???

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by leasmom, Oct 11, 2008.

1. leasmom

leasmom Chillin' With My Peeps

May 25, 2008
    [​IMG]

You can see that its cone shaped...

[​IMG]

And in this picture, the same egg is sitting up higher than the others...

If it's an RIR egg, (the other layers I have are two OEGH/Silkie mixes, 2 silkies-(one being a partride), a merlerault-(not her), a Cochin-(not her), and a younger pullet RIR)...why would she start and stop??? Aren't RIR's good layers??? I have lights in the coop, grass for them to eat, etc. so why would she start and then stop???

2. M@M@2four

[email protected]@2four Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 12, 2008
    USA
    My RIR pullets and hens all lay brown eggs. Not sure what type of chicken that is from....hmmmm.... [​IMG]

3. hensdeliverthegoods

hensdeliverthegoods Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 18, 2007
    Catawba County, NC
    That looks a lot like my BOxGLW cross's eggs, they are quite conical and very light tan-ish-pink.

4. SGM

SGM Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 18, 2008
    Easley, SC
    Yes it could be. They might lay slightly lighter ones till they get going.

5. katrinag

katrinag Chillin' With My Peeps

That is what my RIR is laying right now.

6. leasmom

May 25, 2008
    what would cause them to lay one day and then stop if they're RIR's? I know the rest would be 2 egg a week layers, right but RIR's are supposed to be daily layers, right?

7. pebblessix

pebblessix Out Of The Brooder

Diet. All my birds lay an egg a day. We feed them laying pellets and dry catfood. They love the catfood! I think it works because the catfood is really high in protien. (32%) My birds are much healthier looking than other folks I know who have chickens/turkey's etc. I really believe the catfood is the difference.

8. leasmom

May 25, 2008
    I have read alot of yay and nay on the issue of cat food but I'm gonna try it tomorrow, afterall, I do have a cat. Thanks.

9. holliewould

holliewould Chillin' With My Peeps

May 15, 2008
    Planet Earth
    Hmmm My RIR's eat all the cat food around here too. Never knew how good it was for them. They don't really bother with the layer feed unless they are bored. Anyway, both my girls are laying and only one bird has taken only one day off so far. Their eggs are all different shapes and shades of brown. Sometimes even spotted. When I get an egg that is cone shaped it usually turns out to be a double yolker. I get at least two double yolkers a week right now.

10. the1much

the1much Currently Birdless Hippy

was it her first egg? most first eggs have a wierd cone shape to em,,,, and she could have laid it, then is getting ready to molt.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by