1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Is this a RIR?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by tomphot, Jun 14, 2016.

1. tomphot

tomphot Chillin' With My Peeps

I just had my first shipment of chicks. This is the only one I'm not sure about. All the others match up with pics I've seen - is this a RIR?
    [​IMG]

2. HappyClucker7

HappyClucker7 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 28, 2016
    That is definatly NOT a RIR. RIR's are red from the start. That chick is black and gray. Not sure what breed it is yet. I'll have to do more research. Hope this helps!

3. tomphot

Of the darker breeds.....
    Plymouth Barred Rock - it matches up
    Welsummer, mine has a V head
    Easter Egger - it looks like a chipmunk on the back.
    Then the BO and Lavender Orp which are oblivious. I had ordered a Blue Orp which didn't hatch.
    The only one not matching is this one. It loves to eat at 24 hours old and is very chunky.

4. tomphot

This is what I think the EE is. [​IMG]

5. MegH

MegH Out Of The Brooder

Apr 7, 2015
    Check to see if your little chickie has whiskered/fuller cheeks than your others... I can't quite see it's cheeks from the pic, but it sure looks like my EE's that I named Minky and Beavy ("Beaverly"). Your chipmunk looking chick is going to be your Welsummer... and the chick that you're thinking is the EE is, I think, your RIR... I'll upload some of my pics of these same breeds I just got in April and are getting to be older teenagers now... :) My Rhode Island Reds, some had a bit of pattern on the back and head as the one you have pictured, but I can't quite tell the color of yours... Is it reddish brown with darker pattern on back?

Hope this helps... :)
    Blessings! :D
    Meg

Last edited: Jun 16, 2016
  6. MegH

MegH Out Of The Brooder

Apr 7, 2015
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  7. MegH

MegH Out Of The Brooder

Apr 7, 2015
    [​IMG]

8. MegH

MegH Out Of The Brooder

Apr 7, 2015
    [​IMG]

9. MegH

MegH Out Of The Brooder

Apr 7, 2015
    Last pic, I promise! ...at least for tonight... ;)
    [​IMG]

10. MegH

MegH Out Of The Brooder

Apr 7, 2015
    Oops... One last one, since maybe this will be helpful in summary concerning some of the patterned back chicks we have been discussing... (Welsummer, EE, and even some of the RIRs side-by-side)
    [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by