Is this a roo "bump" (vent sexing)?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by Linkoso, Jan 29, 2011.

1. Linkoso

Linkoso Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 26, 2009
    Swe.
    Hi! I'm trying to learn the "skill" vent sexing. But wow, it's tricky! [​IMG]

The chick on the pics. is a 3-4 days old Chabo, and I think it's a boy? It has a very clear (not so clear on the photo [​IMG]) small dark/shiny "button" (the area I circled) that I think applies to the descriptions I've looked at and read about.
    Have checked through some other chicks and some of them look nothing like this, they do not appear to have any "button" at all, are they hens? Then, it's a few that have a VERY small button (so small that it is impossible to photograph), hens?

Here are the pics ... Do I even watch the right area of the cloaca? [​IMG] [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Illia

Illia Crazy for Colors

Oct 19, 2009
    Forks, WA
    Second photo looks like a girl, last looks like a boy.

But honestly, I wouldn't be vent sexing Chabos if I were you. . . . Way too small of a chick.

3. happytxchick

happytxchick Egg Song Acre

Jul 8, 2009
    Sulphur Springs, TX
    The second & third pic looks the same to me...specifically, I see a dark spot in the third pic as well as the other two. What are you seeing that is different in the 2nd & 3rd??? I really know very little about vent sexing. What websites did you look at to find pictures? I've tried googling it before with no luck.

Last edited: Jan 29, 2011
  4. Linkoso

Mar 26, 2009
    Swe.
    I have'nt "squeezed" this chicks cloaca out, just beauce it's a Chabo and I thought it was to small, tried to expose it on a more gently way. All pics are on the same chick (so it's not so weird that you think they look the same )[​IMG].
    But are I looking at the "correct" area of the cloaca, or is it somthing else I should look after?

I have made a picture here of a few different looks I have seen... But as I said, i'm not sure if a'm looking after the "right" thing? I'm looking after a small little "pin-head" and on it's shape/form/size. Ignore the text above.

Tupp = Rooster
    Höna = Hen

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 30, 2011
  5. Liamm_1

Liamm_1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Might I suggest you have way too much free time on your hands?

6. magicpigeon

magicpigeon Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 9, 2010
    Quote:[​IMG] [​IMG]

7. Linkoso

Mar 26, 2009
    Swe.
    LOL [​IMG] Chickens are my main interest, so I spend a lot of my free time on them. [​IMG] ... And for the moment, I have to admit that I have pretty much freetime. [​IMG]

By the way... Here's some more pics on other chicks (about 1 weeks old)... It's very difficult to take good photos on your own with a chick in your other hand... [​IMG]

Araucana - No "pin-head"? Hen? [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Appezeller/Maran cross - I can see a very tiny "pin-head" (looks like a little pearl). Hen or roo?

[​IMG]

Same Chabo as the first pics - It has a black, shiny "pearl". Unfortunately, the photo is not so accurate (more like a black, blurry dot)

[​IMG]

Same chick
    [​IMG]

8. pdsavage

pdsavage Sussex Monarch

Mar 27, 2008
    NW,Missouri
    Vent sexing has to be done on day old chicks.

9. jeremy

jeremy CA Royal Blues

Mar 23, 2008
    Oakland, CA
    Quote:Obviously not, if the OP doing it. [​IMG]

10. pdsavage

pdsavage Sussex Monarch

Mar 27, 2008
    NW,Missouri
    Quote:Obviously not, if the OP doing it. [​IMG]

Hehe yeah but she is not seeing what she thinks she sees....

As the female grows older, the process mill continue to regress . . . just as the questionable male organ will extend and grow larger. But you can't wait more than a day or two to vent sex a chick. It has to be done before the youngster eats and thus distends its lower alimentary tract.http://docs.google.com/viewer?a=v&q...0jJMqn&sig=AHIEtbSQMDgiIj3tCRkSpueZlg1gDu6zXQ

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by