Is this a Roo or a Hen?????

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by Grand-hen-ma, Oct 10, 2011.

1. Grand-hen-ma

Grand-hen-ma Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 25, 2010
    Hudson Florida
    Below are pictures of Nacho. Can anyone tell me if I have a boy or a girl? Nacho was born on Sept. 9. I know which hen laid the egg but have no idea which Roo is the father. (I have 2 that get along very well in the same pen) I am thinking I have another Roo but am praying for another hen. Can anyone help???

[​IMG]

Nacho was all stretched out here. No feathers missing, just a very windy day

[​IMG]

Any ideas anyone???

2. dsquawker

dsquawker Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 1, 2011
    Bluegrass State
    S/He is only a month old? So, keep a good eye on his or her comb. Her/His comb seems to be developing fast for a month old. Looks like a hen at this point. If the comb starts to develop and the tail feathers more in the next couple of months - compare her/him to your other hens - then its a rooster. I can't really tell for certain at this point because its still so young. Looks like a hen to me though. Keep a good eye for changes and keep us updated with photos. Angela (dsquawker)

3. Grand-hen-ma

Apr 25, 2010
    Hudson Florida
    Thanks Angela. Anyone else have an idea??????

4. fshinggrl

fshinggrl Chillin' With My Peeps

May 1, 2009
    the edge of insanity
    Still too young in my opinion. Wait a few weeks...

5. Grand-hen-ma

Apr 25, 2010
    Hudson Florida
    Thanks

6. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    I'm thinking roo, check out those thick legs. Who was the momma and what breeds are the potential daddies?

7. Grand-hen-ma

Apr 25, 2010
    Hudson Florida
    The daddies are either a barnyard mix or a BR. The mom, I beleive, is possibly a langshans/mix. She has the feathered legs and feet. I noticed Nacho has a few feathers coming out on his/her legs. I was so hoping for a girl because momma lays deep, chocolate colored eggs. Seems all my babies turn out to be boys. I love them all but need more girls

8. Happy Chooks

Happy Chooks Moderator Staff Member

Jul 9, 2009
    Northern CA
    My Coop
    I'm gonna say pullet. If it were a cockerel, I'd expect the comb to be a bit bigger or turning pink by now.

9. Grand-hen-ma

Apr 25, 2010
    Hudson Florida
    Oh I hope it's a girl!!!! Thanks Happy. I'll keep an eye on her/him and maybe post another pic in a couple weeks. It would be so awesome if it was a girl and later, she laid the deep, chocolate eggs.

10. Little One

Little One Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 9, 2011
    SE Virginia
    Seems too early to tell. Our RIR boy was about 4 months old before he got the distinctive rooster saddle feathers. At that time, a few of our girls the same age had bigger combs & waddles than him! Looking back on it now, what could have given him away first was how even from a few weeks old, how he shoved his way to the front of the group to get treats first and an overall bigger/pushier attitude compared to the girls. Good luck & keep us updated!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by