Is this a roo?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by mamachicken888, Sep 24, 2011.

1. mamachicken888

mamachicken888 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 23, 2011
    East Oklahoma
    This is one of our brood. Just today, she/he is challenging every single member of the flock. They ALL bow to his/her majesty.

And since we're so green in raising chickens (we need a 101 course) but we're reading all we can, can someone please explain to me what the benefits of having a roo in the midst are, and what are the drawbacks? I've read they are very protective - that's a good thing.
    [​IMG]
    And will someone please id this girl?
    [​IMG]
    And this one:
    [​IMG]

2. macbeth

macbeth Out Of The Brooder

Sep 19, 2011
    Hi there...we are totall novices too. I posted pics of our 4 chicks and 2 of ours are younger versions of ur top chicken, everyone said ours are roos.

3. mamachicken888

Sep 23, 2011
    East Oklahoma
    Hi macbeth, I'll have a look at yours. This one's stance is just different than the others.

4. macbeth

macbeth Out Of The Brooder

Sep 19, 2011
    I know that stance..square as if he owns the world? real roo like. My pics are in the what gender sex forum. Are u keeping ur fella? Not sure what we are going to do!!

5. henney penny

henney penny Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 21, 2009
    Northern Maine
    Look at those legs!Rooster

6. blefky

blefky life in the yard

Mar 18, 2010
    stamford, ct
    The BR is a roo. The second one looks, by feathering and leg color to be a EE, the third one is a bit hard to tell by that pic - maybe red sex link? Roos are nice to have around for making more chickens, they will keep an eye out for danger - and should protect if danger is present, they're often very pretty. They are also, generally, quite loud, they can sometimes be quite aggressive, and they can, especially if the ratios are not what they should be, be hard on the hens - sometimes to the point of injury. [​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 24, 2011
  7. Whittni

Whittni Overrun With Chickens

Mar 26, 2011
    Southern Utah
    In the pics I see a little barred rock cockeral, an easter egger pullet and couple red stars, I bet those are female too since they aren't really light.

8. mamachicken888

Sep 23, 2011
    East Oklahoma
    Well, I guess we will keep 'him' unless I can find out why we shouldn't! [​IMG]

9. mamachicken888

Sep 23, 2011
    East Oklahoma
    p.s. I read somewhere where they pay 'sexing' experts for chickens an exhorbitant amount... like $2,000 an hour - could that be right?

Wahhhhl, ours are supposed to be all girls. Now all I want to know is why these 'experts' get the big bucks? [​IMG]

10. stoopid

stoopid Chicken Fairy Godmother

Aug 3, 2011
    Long Island, NY
    Yes, it's a roo. And I don't know about that figure, but it's UP THERE. They sex as quickly as they can pick them up, and put back down into the M/F bin.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by