Is this a roo?

mamachicken888

Songster
8 Years
Sep 23, 2011
East Oklahoma
This is one of our brood. Just today, she/he is challenging every single member of the flock. They ALL bow to his/her majesty.

And since we're so green in raising chickens (we need a 101 course) but we're reading all we can, can someone please explain to me what the benefits of having a roo in the midst are, and what are the drawbacks? I've read they are very protective - that's a good thing.
utf-8BSU1HMDA2ODUtMjAxMTA5MjQtMTMwMC5qcGc.jpg

And will someone please id this girl?
utf-8BSU1HMDA2OTEtMjAxMTA5MjQtMTMwNC5qcGc.jpg

And this one:
utf-8BSU1HMDA3MDAtMjAxMTA5MjQtMTMxNC5qcGc.jpg

Hi there...we are totall novices too. I posted pics of our 4 chicks and 2 of ours are younger versions of ur top chicken, everyone said ours are roos.

I know that stance..square as if he owns the world? real roo like. My pics are in the what gender sex forum. Are u keeping ur fella? Not sure what we are going to do!!

The BR is a roo. The second one looks, by feathering and leg color to be a EE, the third one is a bit hard to tell by that pic - maybe red sex link? Roos are nice to have around for making more chickens, they will keep an eye out for danger - and should protect if danger is present, they're often very pretty. They are also, generally, quite loud, they can sometimes be quite aggressive, and they can, especially if the ratios are not what they should be, be hard on the hens - sometimes to the point of injury.
welcome-byc.gif

Last edited:
In the pics I see a little barred rock cockeral, an easter egger pullet and couple red stars, I bet those are female too since they aren't really light.

p.s. I read somewhere where they pay 'sexing' experts for chickens an exhorbitant amount... like $2,000 an hour - could that be right?

Wahhhhl, ours are supposed to be all girls. Now all I want to know is why these 'experts' get the big bucks?
lol.png

Yes, it's a roo. And I don't know about that figure, but it's UP THERE. They sex as quickly as they can pick them up, and put back down into the M/F bin.

Back
Top Bottom