is this a roo ?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by 98cummins, Apr 6, 2012.

1. 98cummins

98cummins Out Of The Brooder

Mar 17, 2012
    Hinckley, ohio
    so I finally got my first chickens.[​IMG] I got 5 golden comet pullets but I'm worried this one is a roo [​IMG] What do you think it has a much large comb and waddle than the others
    it also has some feathering on it's legs the others do not. I thought the males were mostly white . They are supposedly 4 months old.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 6, 2012
  2. leadwolf1

leadwolf1 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 1, 2011
    I would say that you are right about it being a rooster...but, how old are they now and if you could get a better, closer shot it would help :)

3. 98cummins

Mar 17, 2012
    Hinckley, ohio
    how do I make the picture bigger ?

4. 4-H chicken mom

4-H chicken mom Overrun With Chickens

Aug 3, 2007
    Oberlin, OH
    It is a roo alright, but not sure if the breed is a Golden Comet or not. :confused:

5. BlueCamas

BlueCamas Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 25, 2011
    Milwaukie, Oregon
    100% a cockerel!

6. rosechickens

rosechickens Out Of The Brooder

Apr 6, 2012
    We raised golden comet hens for eggs and he doesn't look like a hen. Is he maybe a cross breed if there is feathering on the legs?

Last edited: Apr 7, 2012
  7. Happy Chooks

Happy Chooks Moderator Staff Member

Jul 9, 2009
    Northern CA
    My Coop
    Absolutely a cockerel.

8. 98cummins

Mar 17, 2012
    Hinckley, ohio
    ya
    I thought it was a roo.
    I called the lady I got it from (a family farm) and she apologized and I exchanged it for a pullet. All is good.[​IMG] now just witing for some eggs.
    any advice on how to encourage foraging in the grass? I have a chicken tractor and they just eat out of the feeder and sleep. very little scratching and pecking at the ground I spread out some black oil sun flour seeds and the poked around a little. I don't think they got out much where I got them from. Is this some thing they will just pick up on ? If so how long will it take?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by