Is this a rooster?? ANd anyone know what kind of bird???

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by spooklaw, May 17, 2011.

1. spooklaw

spooklaw Out Of The Brooder

May 27, 2010
    [​IMG]

2. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

Perhaps an American Game hen? Don't see any stringy saddle feathers so I'd say hen. Maybe a wheaten color? Surely someone who knows more about the games will come along shortly.

3. Domestic_goddess

Domestic_goddess Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 26, 2009
    Utah
    Does it crow? I don't see anything that says Roosters, nice round feathers too! It's a game breed...not familiar with them though.

4. spooklaw

spooklaw Out Of The Brooder

May 27, 2010
    Thank you guys for the help! I looked up game breeds and she is a Wheaten Old English Game Bantam Hen! We put her in with our other chickens yesterday, and it is not going to well. Any suggestions how to make things easier for her. The other hens are not liking her to much! We have Black Sex Links and Rhode Island Reds. Also a Rhode Island Red Rooster.

5. Domestic_goddess

Domestic_goddess Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 26, 2009
    Utah
    In my experience, RIR are more aggressive, even then hens! Maybe try putting in a seperate pen for while, let them see each other through fencing, and little by little you can try to introduce her! Good luck, she's pretty!

6. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

She seems large for an OEGB, which is why I said American Game. I believe there are also standard Old English Games as well as the bantam sizes. I don't have any, but I know many of our members do and can verify which she is.

7. stubbornhill

stubbornhill Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 11, 2011
    Shapleigh, Maine
    I don't have a clue on breed but she sure is pretty! I would say the same thing...try and seperate her, while keeping her within the run so that your flock can get used to her movement, noise, etc. Best wishes for a smooth transition![​IMG]

8. littleoak

littleoak Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 26, 2010
    Ashmore IL 61912
    It appears to be a game hen but not a bantam. It is hard to tell the type with the hens. As for trying to put her with others, you may have a hard time. I have one that will not be with any other chicken, hen or rooster. Most game hens will get along eventually. You could try putting her in a seperate pen and then add one or two other hens and see if they can get along. The game hen will fight them for a while but they should settle down after a few hours. If that doesn't work try a couple of other hens. If nothing else works try putting her with the rooster only. If she does get along with any of these groups, you can add them to the flock after a couple of weeks.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by