Is this a rooster or a hen?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by beritbeth, Jan 17, 2016.

1. beritbeth

beritbeth Out Of The Brooder

Oct 4, 2015
    Barnesville, MN
    Recently, was given supposedly a hen and a rooster by some neighbors. Now since the rooster has died, (of unknown reasons), we are finding out that the hen seems to act more like a rooster. Next to each other it seemed obvious the difference, but now I'm not so sure. Every morning the hen crows and I am not sure if this would be common for hens. I don't really know how old it is but from what they say it could be about 7 months. Not laying yet but it sat in the nesting boxes and seemed broody for a while. Could someone look at the pictures and tell me if it is a hen or a rooster? Thanks!

The "hen"
    [​IMG]

The rooster
    [​IMG]

2. Wyandottes7

Wyandottes7 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    Both of those birds look like roosters to me.

3. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    agree a hen that crows like that, is not a hen.

4. junebuggena

junebuggena Chicken Obsessed

Apr 17, 2015
    Long Beach, WA
    Your 'hen' is a slow to mature cockerel. Looks like a Cochin mix. Cochins, in general, are a slow to develop breed.

5. Michael OShay

Michael OShay Chicken Obsessed

May 14, 2014
    Montana
    Both birds are cockerels. Sorry. :eek:(

6. junebuggena

Apr 17, 2015
    Long Beach, WA
    Is your 'hen' the same bird in your profile pic? If so, it's clearly been a boy the whole time. He had a bright red comb while he still had chick down on his head.

7. beritbeth

Oct 4, 2015
    Barnesville, MN

Yes, it's the same picture. Good to know its a rooster! I was pretty sure it was but being new to owning chickens I was sure. On top of that the people who gave him to me said it was a hen. Maybe they know less about chickens than me. :) Thanks for all of the help!

8. junebuggena

Apr 17, 2015
    Long Beach, WA
    Maybe they were just trying to get rid of their extra boys and took advantage of your inexperience. Happens all the time.

9. beritbeth

Oct 4, 2015
    Barnesville, MN
    I am pretty sure that there are no spurs on the rooster. Is this common? Not completely sure because of the feathers on his legs but I dont really know.

10. junebuggena

Apr 17, 2015
    Long Beach, WA
    Spurs usually don't begin to develop until after 6 months old, and some roosters never grow them at all.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by