Is this a rooster or a hen?

beritbeth

In the Brooder
Oct 4, 2015
Barnesville, MN
Recently, was given supposedly a hen and a rooster by some neighbors. Now since the rooster has died, (of unknown reasons), we are finding out that the hen seems to act more like a rooster. Next to each other it seemed obvious the difference, but now I'm not so sure. Every morning the hen crows and I am not sure if this would be common for hens. I don't really know how old it is but from what they say it could be about 7 months. Not laying yet but it sat in the nesting boxes and seemed broody for a while. Could someone look at the pictures and tell me if it is a hen or a rooster? Thanks!

The "hen"

The rooster

Is your 'hen' the same bird in your profile pic? If so, it's clearly been a boy the whole time. He had a bright red comb while he still had chick down on his head.

Yes, it's the same picture. Good to know its a rooster! I was pretty sure it was but being new to owning chickens I was sure. On top of that the people who gave him to me said it was a hen. Maybe they know less about chickens than me. :) Thanks for all of the help!

I am pretty sure that there are no spurs on the rooster. Is this common? Not completely sure because of the feathers on his legs but I dont really know.

Back
Top Bottom