1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Is this a rooster or a hen?

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by NatureLove11, Nov 4, 2010.

1. NatureLove11

NatureLove11 Out Of The Brooder

Nov 4, 2010
    Hi im new here and new to the chicken business. This is my first time ever owning them, even though both of my parents had chickens growing up i guess they were to young to care and dont really know much more than i do about them. In august i ordered 18 chickens. I have three Black Sexlinks, 6 Red or Brown Sexlinks, and 9 White Leghorns. Recently ive been noticing one of my bsl beginning to look rooish but yet ive seen many pics of a bsl roo before and it doesnt really match. Idk what this one is the other two look the way they are suppose to but this one is making me wonder. It hasnt crowed yet and is 15 wks old. Really hoping this one is a hen because i am not aloud to have roosters. So please help me, thanks. [​IMG] here are some overall pictures of him/her really hoping its a her though if they dont show up or you cant get to them please tell me because i have no idea how to put pictures on here. [​IMG],[​IMG],[​IMG]

2. racuda

racuda Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 1, 2008
    North Carolina
    rooster.

3. HorseFeatherz NV

HorseFeatherz NV Eggink Chickens

That is a cockerel - young roo. Sorry [​IMG]

4. StevenW.

StevenW. Lovin' My Quackers!

Oct 7, 2010
    Central, Illinois
    rooster!

5. allieloveschickens

allieloveschickens Chillin' With My Peeps

May 20, 2010
    San Diego
    x3- definitely a roo!

6. cashdl

cashdl Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 25, 2008
    Willits
    There are quite a few things about this boy that are screaming rooster to me. His coloring - the gold on his wings, girls wont get that. The long feathers on the tail that are curving downward while the rest of the tail curves up. The long very thin gold feathers on his behind. The long very thin gold feathers on his neck.

He is very pretty with the gold against the black.

Lanae

7. RAREROO

RAREROO Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 22, 2009
    Alapaha, Ga
    WELCOME TO BYC !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

As everyone else said, he is a roo and is not a black Sexlink, he looks like a mix with some oriental game influence as far as the tail and body stance, but he has a single combe and oritenal breeds dont usually have single combs so I think hes a mix, did he come from a hatchery ?

8. can you hear me now?

can you hear me now? Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 18, 2008
    Southwest Missouri
    No doubt in my mind a young cockerel.

9. telisha247

telisha247 Out Of The Brooder

Sep 21, 2010
    Queensland, Australia
    Rooster!

10. tammyd57

tammyd57 Chillin' With My Peeps

Rooster.
    Looks like my Daryl and there's NO doubt Daryl is a he. [​IMG]
    Yours could be a black sex-link, but someone really had a bad day at the sexing table! [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by