Is this a rooster or hen?

Tamayeager

Chirping
Sep 16, 2021
bought three chicks from rural king. They were in a tub labeled welsummer or olive egger. I do not know why they put these two in the same rub, because as chicks, they look identical. I was offered the chick's at the lower price, because they could not tell them one breed from another. They were all supposed to be pullets. I also had hatched some chicks from my own flock at the same time. All together, I have a flock of what is supposed to be seven hens and one rooster. They are all the same age, within days of each other. The chicken in question is the red hen in the picture. It does not crow, even though the rooster with them the same age, has been crowing for a few months now. But it looks like a rooster to me. However, besides not crowing, the rooster does not bother this chicken. But, the females pick on it constantly. I am so beyond confused by this situation. I have had chickens my whole life. This bird looks like a rooster. Acts like a hen. And the flock is acting very strange towards it. Any opinions greatly appreciated. They should begin laying in a math or so. So, given time, I will have an answer. But, I would remove it, and put it elsewhere, now, if it is a rooster. Flocks do peck each other. There has not been any blood drawn. But this bird is definitely the bottom. Which is fine, if it is a hen. But if it is because it's a rooster, then I want to move him. Any help is greatly appreciated

Attachments

• 20221009_171056.jpg
    20221009_171056.jpg
    957.9 KB · Views: 23
  • 20221009_171051.jpg
    20221009_171051.jpg
    1,009.5 KB · Views: 12
  • 20221009_170827.jpg
    20221009_170827.jpg
    707.4 KB · Views: 14
  • 20221009_170817.jpg
    20221009_170817.jpg
    658.8 KB · Views: 14
Cockerel.
Ty that's my thoughts also. It is not crowing. And it's the hens that attack it. I have never witnessed this behavior before. The rooster isn't attacking it. But the hens are. That is what has me confused. Have you seen this happen before? I have always had the two roosters fight. But hens be fine with the roosters. So, that's what has me confused.lol thank you!

Ty that's my thoughts also. It is not crowing. And it's the hens that attack it. I have never witnessed this behavior before. The rooster isn't attacking it. But the hens are. That is what has me confused. Have you seen this happen before? I have always had the two roosters fight. But hens be fine with the roosters. So, that's what has me confused.lol thank you!
How old are the hens?

I'll be right honest with you, this looks like a hen to me. I had a bantam hen once with the same beard/cheek fluff and the tail looks like a hen's. That being said, if this is a pullet-aged chicken I had a similar experience with my now 2yr old rooster Blanche- the one as my pfp actually haha. He had a brother (Megan) a confirmed rooster that was crowing and * ahem* mounting the hens at 5 months old while Blanche didn't at all, just acted like a gigantic hen and *looked* like a gigantic hen. Tail and all. I can't be for sure till they're older (in your case) sorry. But I worry that if you separate the chicken, rooster or not, that the pecking order will be a lot harsher after re-introduction, and don't know if it isn't best to let the pecking order develop. Later when it dies down and they all "have their place" in the order, the picking will be a lot less harsh.

You know, I too have had chickens for years. A year and a half ago, I hatched out a single chick, but it lived, and I was pretty positive it was a pullet...until it wasn't, he was nearly 4 months old, and I am thinking to myself, 'when are you going to start laying?' took a good look and realized he wasn't going to. He also never crowed.

And my hens and pullets did not like him. He was always by himself, they were always at opposite sides of the coop. One day I just culled him. I took their word for it.

Later I had another two chicks hatch, one pullet and one cockerel, grown up in the same coop and with the same girls. They adored him.

Sometimes you need to listen to your flock.

Mrs K

Looks like a cockerel to me. It may be that the dominant roo has already taught this one his place, but the hens wat to reenforce the idea that he's not the top guy.
That's a good point. Maybe "he" knows his place and is just submissive. I have raised many roosters together over the years. And I have never seen this before. Lol I have seen one rooster be submissive to another. And even work together on flock duties. But have never seen the hens reject the submissive roo. But. Every flock is different!

Back
Top Bottom